What's the Going Rate on Pet/house Sitting?

Advice PLEASE! My family is going away for 3 1/2 days and the twenty year old son of a friend is going to stay at our place and keep an eye on our dogs and my mother's (total=3). I would like to give him something to thank him, but I'm not sure what's a good amount? Does anybody have some suggestions? Thanks so much for your time and help!

Thank you all SO much for all the really great advice/ideas. I think we'll probably go with $25/day.

Hi Stephanine,
I've boarded my dogs in the past and I've paid 14.00 a day per dog. I also have a friend that does pet sitting where she goes to her clients home 2 times a day. She charges 20.00 a day. Maybe that will help.

Check and see what it would cost to board the three dogs with the vet for the time you are away. Start with that amount and adjust up or down depending. Is it better for the dogs to remain at home? Is the care complicated or is it just a matter of keeping the bowls full and the doggie door open? If he's staying there then you should add something for house sitting, especially if you have a pool, which might need attention this time of year.

We recently did the same thing- house sitting and dog sitting for our two large dogs for ten days- and how we figured it was by looking at what we were going to have to pay for a kennel for the two of them and roughly giving half...in our case the sitter would be saving in gas and grocery money for the ten days...but do what you feel is fair. It is amazing to see what it costs to kennel them! But it was so great to have someone here to water the plants, and the dogs were much happier at home :) hope this helps!

My (17 yo) son does this for a friend of ours and he gets 50.00 a day. I hope this helps!

C. Willis
Helping Families earn supplemental income
www.MyHomeCottagebiz.com

Hi Stephanine,

We pay a pet sitting service $22 a visit to come to our house. However, we also just had a friend to stay at our house while we were gone. She lives in an apartment without a pool and was excited to come stay at our house to use the pool, so it was a somewhat mutual benefit. She was staying for a week. I told her to help herself to anything in the house and left her $80 for groceries or whatever. After reading some of the responses, seems too little, but she was happy with it...???

SInce it is a family friend, I think professional rates are a little much. When my friend goes out of town, and the person is staying at her house, she gives them a gift card to the nearest grocery store and movie money. Usually the grocery has 20 bucks for every day, and movies for 2 nights. Since he is only staying for 3 nights, maybe one movie night would be sufficent and maybe a gift certificate to a good restaurant close to your house, enough for 2 people. Another good tip, how much would you like to be paid for doing the same thing?

We pay what it would cost us to kennel our dog at the vet..$20 daily. This is paid to one of my younger siblings usually & I think it's good money for them and it's way better than kenneling! They stay at our house. The pet services that would come to my house cost way more, plus they're often per visit and our dog eats 3-4 times a day- yikes- that would be costly per visit! We have one dog and two cats. I hope that's helpful!

We pay a semi-professional $30/visit for two dogs. I am checking into a neighbor teenager's rate and get back to you.

1 / 3