What's the Difference Between Thread Count on Sheets?

What are the different thread counts? Does more thread count feel better? One of my daughters has eczema & even with medication, lotion, & dye-free, perfume-free laundry detergent she says the sheets hurt. Just wondering if changing the thread count could help.

Thank you everyone. We're going to go out this weekend & buy her a couple of different sets & see what feels best on her. Thanks again!

Hubby and I have gotten used to 275+ thread count sheets, but HATE the sateen ones. They pill horribly and then they're worse than cheap sheets. Try TJMaxx, they usually have good selections on more expensive sheets. Their prices are better than the West Point store in Allen, we were just there and decided we would go back to TJMaxx. The $5 sheets in Allen are not necessarily 250 thread count, it's not marked on the package anywhere. I would rather pay $10 and know what I'm getting!

I found some sheets at Bed Bath & Beyond that are 100% bamboo (sounds weird, I know) and they are the best sheets I have ever had. My husband (who also has excema and uses medication for it), who has no interest whatsoever in stuff like this, actually told me he sleeps better with them, lol.

They were are $40 - $100 for a set of twin - king size, if you use the 20% off coupons from them or Linens n Things (both stores take each other's coupons) you can get them for a pretty good price. You should go over there and feel them. I used to buy the 1000 count from overstock.com also, and will never do it again!!

You might also try cotton jersey sheets, they are like t-shirt material? I recommend the bamboo sheets over all.

~ t

My 3 year old daughter has eczema too. I just make sure everything is 100 cotton, oatmeal baths before bed and lather her up with dry skin cream. If it's really acting up I will give her some benadryl and ointment from the doctor.

There is a huge difference in thread counts, my husband and I are sheet snobs we have 1100 thread count. We buy our sheets from overstock.com and smartbargains.com they are always cheaper and have great products. Naturally we would not buy our daughter that expensive of sheets but you can get 400-600 pretty cheap.

Poor thing.

Higher the thread count the softer the sheets.

good luck!

180 thread count feels like cardboard compared to the higher ones. 250 should be a nice upgrade. It can get pretty expensive for the higher thread counts, but you might have luck at Ross or T.J. Maxx.

We really like 600 thread count Egyptian Cotton. Very soft & smooth. I shop for bargins all the time, so when ever I am in a Ross or someplace that sells overstock or unsold merchandise from the big stores I browse to see if they have something there. Sometimes even Bed Bath & Beyond & those type of stores will have a good sale or clearance items & you can get lucky with that.

Linens & Things usually has good prices on those higher thread count sheets, and even a few that are made from different natural fibers that are just silky! If you sign up for their mailing list, you get monthly 20% off coupons.

Once I started using 250+ thread counts, I can stand using the cheap/ rough stuff. I'd bet they'd help on the little one's skin, too.

Another thought is to look for organic cotton sheets on the net. I doubt bypassing pesticides, too, as well as other processing chemicals would hurt... although, the price would probably make you squirm a bit. Just check it out!

Thanks for the posting! I learn something new every day.

Please e-mail me about your daughter's eczema. I have a lot of resources I would love to share with you. I feel for her and understand what she's going through. ____@____.com

I look forward to hearing from you!
A.

p.s. I'm not a salesperson/distributor - didn't want you to get the wrong idea :)

1 / 3