What's the Difference? 24Mo Vs. 2T

I am ready to start buying clothes for my daughters next size and wondering if there is any difference between 24mo or 2T size? When she went from 6mo to 9mo I didn't notice the difference, pant & arm lengths were virtually the same. I felt ripped off since we could have just gone from one or the other to 12mo. Specifically Carter's brand, it is the only brand I have found that is true to size & consistent, not to mention durable. Thanks Mama's.

Glad I asked, all of the responses have been very helpful. Seeing that our little one is on the petite side I will be stocking up on 24mo clothes first. Thanks Mama's!

24months is usually for the kiddo that is in diapers. It has the snaps for diaper changes. 2T is more for the kiddo that is potty training, no snaps, basic pants and shirts. This is what I was told when I was working retail...

2T can be a bit longer. Longer legs and sleeves..

I agree with other posters...24 months is a bit smaller (especially Carters brand) My daughter has always been a bit on the chunkier side so we didn't hardly buy any 24 month clothing, she went straight to 2T.

Children's Place 24 months runs a bit bigger...

Gap clothes infant 18-24 month vs. toddler 18-24 month, infant has more room in rear for diaper is what the sales associates told me...(i didn't see much of a difference)

Gymboree (my favorite and VERY durable, also very true to size)

24 mos is designed to last the child from approx 18-24 mos. After that, the rate of growth slows pretty drastically, and over the course of the next year a 2T should last until approx 3 yrs old, when you'd then move into 3Ts.

Hope this helps!

I've found with both of my boys that the 24m size runs a bit smaller than 2T. There isn't that much difference, but their 24m stuff gets too small a bit before the 2T stuff. My youngest was 2 in October and is firmly a size 2T, but we've already had to put away several 24 m items. The other 24m stuff he has is snug.

I think that the "T" sizes take into account that a child's arms and legs might be a little longer.
It's so hard to go by sizes any more. All brands are different. There just isn't anything universal about it, in my opinion.
Both of my kids were long limbed and thin so I had a hard time. Typically, I bought things a little on the bigger side because at certain times, my kids outgrew things before they ever had a chance to wear them much.

Maybe it's true....
"If they could just stay little til their Carter's wear out".

Best wishes.

I think that 24m has a little more room for diaper, but really there is no difference.

About 25 years ago I worked in JC Penney's infant dept. Supposedly a 24mo. is cut large in the bottom area to allow extra room for a diaper. The reason I say supposedly is because it seems like there is no true size anymore, it varies so much from manufacturer to manugacturer. It's also been my experience that 2T seems to be slightly longer in pants and sleeves.

1 / 3