What's the BEST First Bed?

My son is 1 and a half and in a few months, he's going to be ready for a real bed. In your experience,what is the best type of bed for a toddler? His crib turns into a bed but we're going to use it for baby 2 so we'll need to buy a bed anyway. I've seen some with rails, some that look like cars,...or should I just use a full size mattress without a frame so that it sits directly on the floor? And what mattress should I get? Soft or firm? Will he need a pillow? He doesn't use one now. He just lays flat in his crib. And what about a comforter? Right now, he turns in so many different positions through out his sleep. I'll put him down one way, and when I go check on him,he's on the opposite end of the crib in a different position. And sometimes he's even woke up in the middle of the night crying because in his sleep,he sticks his little leg through the crib bars(over the bumper) and it gets stuck so I have to go get it out and put him back to sleep.
With all this movement,I don't want him getting suffocated by a comforter or pillow, or falling off a too high bed. But perhaps he's past that stage?
Lots of questions,I know! :)

Good morning A.,

We put my son in a single bed on a frame with a head board and footboard. We then added the side rails and we had no problems!

Best of Luck!

C. Roeschen
The Trinity Group
Keller Williams
###-###-####
www.TheTrinityGroup.org
www.ValueMyNeighborhoodOnLine.com

We just went straight to a full sized bed on frame and all. We did not do the box springs, just put a piece of board down for the platform, so it is not too high off the floor. Both girls were in theirs at around 18 months and have done great.

Lots of great ideas have been given. But check in to a twin, you mentioned a full, and that will take up more room that you think, we have a twin for our son and got rid of it b/c of the space. now he has a twin bed with a head board that has a little shelf in there. keep in mind with the bigger bed, how hard it will be to change the sheets once potty training starts! what ever you get, if you put it on the frame, which is best, be sure he will be able to climb in and out of the bed on his own. we used floot pillows to accomplish this, and it also gave some padding if he rolled out. good luck. p.s. check www.craigslist.net in the furniture and baby/kids section...there are always toddler beds on sale.

My son never really liked his crib and we got his "big boy" room ready thinking it would be a while before we put him in there. But we have a daybed (it looks like a daybed with one rail up, it has rails for both sides) and it's solid wood with a trundle drawer underneath. We bought a new twin mattress for it, not a really expensive one but not the cheapest one either, and I have pillows, sheets (top & bottom) and a comforter. Most nights he is asleep in the middle of the bed with no pillow or comforter. So even if you have those things, he may or may not use them. Mine likes to cuddle up in his covers while he's getting sleepy but by the time he's asleep there usually isn't anything on him. I think by this age they aren't going to suffocate or anything, they will move if they need to like we would. After he is asleep I put up the other rail. he has bumped his head on the wood rails and has put his foot through the rail (usually on purpose) but I am making bumpers for the rails to solve that problem. Good luck, I'm sure whatever you do will be fine. We skipped a toddler bed and went staight to the twin daybed and he sleeps in it WAY more than he ever slept in his crib. But if you go with a mattress on the floor, that works for a lot of people too. Good luck.

-T.

We put our daughter straight into a full size twin bed from the crib. We bought one of those gate-like things that attach to the side and put the bed against the wall. She never fell off. And we put her on a pillow with a regular blanket/ comforter and never had any issues doing so. I'm glad we did it because we haven't had to buy her another bed since...she is 4 now.

Alex

Saw your post, he is already in a big boy bed, that is great! I saw your profile, I dont need an interior decorator, but I do really need help with photo editing, will you hire out for that? Im serious! :O) Im living right around the corner from you so it is close!

We were also given a car bed (actually a firetruck). It was a toddler bed, so we used a crib mattress. My son LOVED it. The sides of the bed are made to be a little higher than the mattress, so we didn't need to buy a rail and didn't need to worry about him falling out of it.

However, since baby 2 will need the crib mattress, you'll have to buy another mattress anyway. You can go ahead and get a twin. You'll want a side rail, and possibly a step stool. Our first child was "kicked out" of the crib at 17 months because of the new baby arriving, so we transferred her straight to a big bed. Because her bed didn't fit flush to the wall, we put a railing on each side. The railings usually extend and fit a long ways down the side of the bed. We put the step stool at the foot of the bed.

Good morning A.,

Best of Luck!

C. Roeschen
The Trinity Group
Keller Williams
###-###-####
www.TheTrinityGroup.org
www.ValueMyNeighborhoodOnLine.com

A., I agree with the two people that advised you to keep him in the crib. My oldest son was 2 when my 2nd boy was born, and I didn't mind having two cribs, but my husband insisted on moving him to his twin bed, which he already had, and I didn't oppose because he was such a wonderful sleeper that I thought that he will do all right.
Well, that was the beginning of our nightmares, for a almost a year and a half we struggled with him, not wanting to stay in the bed, wanting to sleep with us, which we didn't want. He would wake the baby up, crying because he didn't want to sleep in the bed. So, a friend gave me her crib, but it was already too late, even with the tent, he didn't want to stay, and he used to have the tent since he turn 20 months old.
Now he just turned 4, and finally, I can happily say that after 6 months of fighting it ( and nobody having a whole night of sleep), and another year of giving up, and letting him sleep with us (in our room, next to our bed in a sleeping bag), he is sleeping in his bed, and his two year old brother is in his crib in the same room. They keep each other company and I am not planning to take my little one out of his crib until he is at least 3 years old.
Each child is different, and maybe your son will do great in a bed right now, I have friends that never had any problems, but after what I experienced I will be in no rush to take a toddler out of the crib, they feel cozy and secure in there.
So good luck with your decisions, whatever you decide I hope it works best for you and your son.

1 / 3