What's on Your Altar / in Front of Your Meditation Cushion?

We have a place for meditation and looking inward in our house, with an altar of sorts. We would like to honour the diversity of beliefs and views, so have begun putting up various religuous/spritual symbols. For many traditions we do not know what would be a good thing to put up -- what do you have in front of your altar/place of spiritual contemplation/meditation? We are looking for symbols of beauty, symbols of judaism, christianism, atheism, taoism, islam, hinduism, buddhism, you name it.... Our wall would like to be a wall of love's diversity.

Thanks for helping!

Thanks so far, everyone!! Keep it coming! I love to hear it all. Thank you! --- As to not being able to serve two masters, i am doing my best to try to be true to one thing: love. I asked the question, because we would like to honour all beliefs. We aren't into serving any masters.

you might try Ganesh , the Hindu deity (colorful elephant/man with lots of arms) Really cool looking and is supposed to help you resolve conflict and overcome struggle.

This reminds me of my favorite thing to tell people when they 'get on to me' for not following some religion...

"Call your gods what you will, their hearts are all the same."

What I mean by that is the teachings are all in essence the same thing... your just calling Him/Her by different names.

That is just my opinion mind you...

We have a bookshelf in our living room that we have dedicated to all kinds of faiths and religious practicies. We have books on Buddism, Dali lama, Torah, Koran, The Bible, etc..My husband is Catholic, and I am Methodist, but we think we have something to learn and appreciate from all walks of faith. If it is symbols you are looking for, I would google them all and see where you can purchase them. I think it's a wonderful idea.

I don't have a specific place to meditate. I am Catholic. This may seem strange but what really draws my spirituality is the dove followed by Mary. At least as I see my faith both mean peace and nurturing. :)

The beauty of the dove is it carries from the old to the new testament.

I LOVE THIS IDEA, how beautiful!! Let me know what you end up doing, this sounds lovely...

Hi D.
I love your idea! It sounds very beautiful!
It really bothers me that some people are so mean!!! OMG! How can anyone CLAIM to be christian of any sort and be so judgemental and mean?!?! I try so hard to be a good person and teach my kids to be good people. Some of these women blow me away with how mean and quick they are to point out how they think anyone that doesn't believe exaclty the way they do is WRONG!! wowowowowow!
I wish I could meditate! I tried for years. My inner child never stops talking!!
I hope you find the most beautiful things for your wall. I wish we could post pictures on here so we could all enjoy it too!
Good Luck and GOD BLESS!!

I can't help really with specific symbols, but I would suggest going to Google for each faith you want to represent and do some research. There's lots of info on the web if you dig for it. And by the way I've got to say I think yours is a wonderful idea. I'm all about the all inclusive idea of faith.

I don't have a place like that but if I did, I'd have a mandala on the wall (poster form is probably easiest).
Google 'mandala', then select Images.
You will see so many that are so beautiful it's very difficult to choose just one.

1 / 3