What's Allowed in the Airplane(domestic Flight) for My Toddler to Eat and Drink?

I am traveling with my22 months old daughter for the first time and not sure what I can and cannot bring in for her to eat and drink...everyone tells me something different and even US Airways. First of all, can I bring snacks(crackers, fruits, chips, etc) with me for her to eat during our ride? Can I bring a clear plastic sippy cup with her juice in it for the ride? Everyone says it should be ok since she's considered as a baby, but I want to make sure that nobody has any trouble with things like this at the airport when you are already stressed out with your toddler.
Please let me know and thank you so much!!

Thank you so much for all of your great tips and info!! I can't believe how helpful all of you have been and I feel like I've learned so much and I feel much better. I do have to say still am very nervous about my daughter flying for the first time in a very crowed airplane and not able to run around which is all she likes to do.
But I will bring lots of toys, snacks, and our new DVD player that we got for this trip, and empty sippy cups.
Once again, thank you so much and you guys are all wonderful. And it's amazing how we can all help each other out soooo much even when we don't know each other.

I just traveled with my 2 1/2 year old son from Philadelphia to New Orleans about 3 weeks ago, and I didn't have any problem with the small snack packs of graham crackers, little goldfish crackers, or whole unpeeled bananas I brought in my carry on. I also brought an empty sippy cup and several juice boxes, the juice boxes are fine as long as they are unopened. Hope yo have a good trip.

You can look at the TSA's website for a list of what's allowed and how much of it.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitt...

I know that the airlines have all sort of restrictions on planes nowdays. Pretty much none of them refer to a mother and her child. I fly a lot with my two children and I have never had a problem bringing anything I wanted on the plane for the kids. I bring drink boxes, all sorts of snacks, ect. Now they won't let you carry on say, a full unopened drink, but juiceboxes or drinks in sippy cups are completely OK. They don't even look twice at any of it. Remember that she won't be used to the pressure changes so try to have her drinking and swallowing while you take off and land. Also bring lots of distractions that are quiet and fun for her. We always have some sort of suprise, a new little toy or book to keep them entertained. I know some moms who even bring portable dvd players to keep thier kids quiet and happy. Be prepared that when they come around with drinks she will want something. They usually have apple juice and orange juice, so as long as you have a sippy cup to put it in, it's a treat for her, and no mess for you. We have also found that if you go to the bathroom after you go through security and change diapers or go potty, it helps to not have to do it in the cramped airplane bathrooms. Some of which literally have nowhere to lay a child to change them.
One other thing. You can take your stroller with you(as long as it is not a huge double) and "gate-check" it. That means that you can have it in the airport, past security and all the way up to the gate. You just board, and right before you get onto the plane you fold it up and leave it. They put it on the plane for you and will have it waiting when you get off. This is espically nice if you have a connection. You just walk off the plane, put her in her stroller and go to the next gate. It's also great for huge airports. Not having to carry or try to have a toddler keep up with you is a great stress reliever. Good luck! Traveling isn't that bade. Getting past security is kind of hard, her stuff and yours all going through. But once you get past that it's pretty ok.

Yes, you can bring any snacks you wish on the plane. As far as the juice goes, you can bring her empty sippy cup, and you can purchase juice at the airport AFTER the security checkpoint. They will not allow you to bring your own through security, but you can buy it after security and take it on the plane.

Have fun!

Hello,

I am a seasoned traveler with two children, we used to live in Alaska so we traveled...alot!
Snacks are fine but I'd keep the sippy cup empty. You can bring the cup but you'll have to buy juice on the other side of security, unless you only need to bring 4 oz. When I travel with my infant I bring her powdered formula and buy water on the other side of security. You can not bring any liquids with you unless it's smaller than 4 onces. Good Luck and Happy traveling:)

My daughter flys often with my two year old grandson. You can take small containers of snacks for her, and you can take the sippy cup, but it cannot have the juice or milk. You have to purchase that inside the airport after you go through inspection. Security do not seem to be very understanding on how difficult it is to travel with a little one. The only thing that my daughter has had problems with is the liquids. Like I said, take the cup empty through security, and buy the liquids inside the terminal after security.
HOpe that helps you.

Hi Jin,
I just got back from traveling with my 18-month old to North Carolina. You can bring whatever snacks you want as long as they are all solids. As for drinks, you will need to bring an empty sippy cup and then once you get through security you can buy juice/water and fill it up for the plane. You still can't bring any liquids through security. Hope that helps. Have a good trip! :)

Jin,

You can bring junk food, chips, cookies, chocolate, ect.. Nothing in a liquid form, I would keep everything in the original bag. They have juice on the planes.. You CAN NOT BRING LIQUIDS THROUGH THE BAGGAGE CHECK!!!!…. After you go though the check points and are waiting for the plane you can buy anything you want and take on the plane… make sure there is no juice in the sipper cup.. You can bring a empty cup to use on the plane….

Some airline’s serve food too just depends were you are going and who you are flying with

1 / 3