What's a Good Sunblock for Toddlers?

My 3 yrs old son has really sensitive skin. I use Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50 and he still gets really red and easily burns, especially the face. Do any of you ladies know a really good sunblock that works? Hopefully not too expensive though. Thanks.

Thank you all for your recommendations of sunblocks/sunscreens and the for the web sites.

http://www.naturemoms.com/blog/2008/04/21/safe-sunscreens/ &
http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com

They were very helpful.

I'm leaning toward California Baby, Arbonne or Aveeno Baby. They all contain Zinc Oxide and I like that. And I'm going to keep the SPF lower too. I don't think he needs anything higher than 30. We don't play out in the sun often, esp. living up here in the Pacific North West, not much sun and these sunscreens are good all year round for daily coverage of UV A and UV B. Thanks agian... =0)

Definetly Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock- they now make SPF 55, it is great, and also is waterproof :)

We use Banana Boat no tears ever since my daughter screamed forever when she got some water babies in her eye. They even make a spray on one - so much eaiser for the squirmy kids.

We also cover her up. You can buy sun shirts and shorts that block the uvb/uva rays and still keep a kid cool. Hats and sunglasses as well.

Aveeno baby, 55 spf. My daughter is very pale and she breaks out easily, this is the only kind so far that she hasn't had a reaction to

California Baby makes a nice Arbonne-type sunscreen that is cheaper. And do get a swim top--clothing woven to SPF 50 that is made for swimming in. We got one at Babies R Us that matches her swim diaper.

Hi J.:

I know you have a lot of responses, but no one has really said this yet. A lot of people have misconceptions about sunscreens. Choosing a sunscreen with the highest SPF isn't going to give you the best protection.

To get a high Sun Protection Factor, the chemical content of sunscreen has to be extremely high. Many people actually suffer chemical burns from their sunscreen instead of sunburns and wonder why their sunscreen isn't protecting them.

Anyone with sensitive skin (like many young children) are especially prone to this. Sunscreens with an SPF higher than 30 is likely to give someone a chemical burn. I believe in your case especially, finding a sunscreen in the 25-30 range that is from a more "natural product" company is going to be your best choice. Typical store brands that are usually more cost effective generally use lower grade screens wth high chemical content that is too harsh for sensitive skin. You will also notice that a more natural branded screen will not have such a strong odor.

It can also be good to understand what SPF is to make better choices. Sun Protection Factor is a way to determine the length of time a person can be in the sun before burning. For example, an SPF of 10 means a person can stay in the sun 10 times longer than they could without the protection. To really determine the SPF needed, it is good to know how long you can actually be in the sun without burning. If it takes 25 minutes to burn in the sun, you can build from there to determine how much SPF you need. If it's 10 minutes, same thing. If you have an SPF of 10, that would give you 100 minutes in the sun without burning. If your SPF is 20 then 200 minutes, 30 would be 300 minutes (5 hrs. which is generally longer than most parents allow their children to be outside), etc.

Sunscreens with Zinc Oxide are generally most effective, fyi.

I hope this helps. If you need any brand suggestions, just let me know.

I like Banana Boat & Aveno. The trick is to put sunscreen on before you get dressed! remember that it needs to be on for 20 minutes before it is effective. And most people do not use enough - lube up!! Reapply. And if you do get burned reapply even if you are not in the sun anymore, and take tylenol, these seem to help stop the buning process. And then get some of Aloette's Nutri-Hydrating Mist it is 90% purified Aloe Vera in a spray.

Only really natural one I could find that works is by Aubrey at New Seasons. Smells great too.

My pediatrician for my 2 month old said that if I have to use sunscreen to just get a good sensitive skin one for adults. She said the baby ones tend to be oil and waterproof so they sweat underneath it.

I found that Banana Boat had a great waterproof sunblock for kids that had great staying power. Used it on a trip to the Gulf of Mexico. Normally I use Coppertone but my sister had the Banana Boat and it worked much better. I even used it on myself and I tend to burn within half an hour.

I love Alba Botanicals for kids!

1 / 3