What Should Ring Bearer Wear

My three year old son is the ring bearer in my brother's October wedding. The groomsmen are wearing black tux's. And the brides maids are wearing burgundy. The bride & groom have told me that they don't care what my son wears. It's up to me.

Does my son need to wear a suit or tux? Should it be black? Can he wear grey or khaki slacks and a button down shirt with a bow tie, maybe a blazer? What have you seen?

My mom thinks a 3 year old would look silly in a tux. She thinks he should wear a pant from Ralph Lauren that is winter white (so would speak to the flower girl's dress), a pink oxford (speaks to the pink flowers), suspenders, and a bow tie that she found at RL which is deep red with blue and a touch of gold. I'm not sure I agree with her.

What would you suggest?

Thanks to everyone for your advice. We went with a black suit with a white shirt for several reasons. The fit was excellent (better than the tux I saw), the bride did not care, and my mom really has a problem with a tux. I ordered him a tie to match the wedding party from Beauties.com (great website!). In the end, I was really happy with how it all turned out.

My son was 2-1/2 when he was a ring bearer. We rented the tux from www.gagas.com (I think that's what it is!) and for a little black tux, shirt, tie, it came to something like $17 and that included shipping back! I would do that instead of having to buy something he might not wear again or spend more than you need to. And he looked adorable in a tiny tux!!!

I have always seen the ring bearer wearing a little tux, just like the grownups. Depending on where the tuxes were rented, it might be free but I don't think they are full price if they aren't free. They always look so cute!

My son has been a ring bearer in two weddings at ages 2 and 3. He wore a tux in both. At the second wedding we rented one from www.gagas.com. It was an easy process and much cheaper than buying a tux and he looked SO cute in a tux both times!

Your brother and wife to be should have told you what they want him to wear. I've always seen the ring bearer's wearing a mini version of whatever the groomsmen are wearing.

You can rent tuxes in that size. But he would look cute in anything similar. I kind of think the dress pants and suspenders sounds cute ;) Have fun!!

I think that you should go and rent a tux for him. in the long run it will be cheaper than buying the whole get up and he can only wear it once anyway, since they grow out of things so quickly. Dont put too much pressure on him to walk down the aisle. He may clam up and decide he dosnt want to.

about me: Self employed Mom of three great "kids" 24 (married and out of house), 23 (out of house), 17 (junior in high school).

When I got married I had my 2 1/2 year old nephews as ring bearers. They wore a mini version of the groomsman's tux. They looked absolutely adorable. They even had a mini version of the groomsmen's corsages. I didn't think they looked silly and pictures with all the groomsmen were precious. You can rent the little tuxes at most any tux rental place and they do "temporary tailoring" so that they fit. I think only the flower girls (and the bride) should wear white. No offense, but the white pants, pink shirt, and bow tie you described don't sound seasonally appropriate and perhaps a little gaudy. I would go with either the tux or a black suit with a tie that coordinates with either the bridesmaid dresses or the flowers.

Ask the bride and groom and follow their recommendations.

My son has abeen in two weddings as the ring bearer and both times he wore a tux. Try this website - www.gagas.com - You can rent formal wear at a much lower price than somewhere like Gingiss. Free shipping - both ways. Highly recommend this site - I got an outfit plus shoes for my son for less than 40 bucks.

The ring bearer usually matches the suit/tux to the other males in the wedding party. I'm sure the bride would have an opinion on this. Any variations to the dress code should go through the bride or a very-involved groom (and still the bride!) You'll want to get this right and not go on hearsay. Good luck.

1 / 3