What Should I Pack for Hospital Stay?

Almost 35 weeks and thinking I should start putting together a bag to take with me when I deliver. I am a scheduled c-section, but things don't always go as planned :) I can't remember what I brought last time, it was so long ago. My OB said to plan on being in the hospital 3 nights if all goes well. I'm sure I'll need a light weight robe, clean underwear, my toothbrush and a change of clothes to go home in. What else should I include? Did most of you wear the hospital gowns or bring nightgowns? I'm sure I'll have plenty of visitors so I guess I should look somewhat presentable, lol. So please let me know the essentials and what not to bother with. Thanks in advance :)

Here is what I bought:

Plenty of heavy sanitary napkins
Nice pajamas, underwear, robe, and socks, and slippers
lotions
hair supplies
makeup

I didn't have time to read magazines, watch television, or notice how bad the food was...

After delivery I was really cold, bring some soft warm socks. Also , at night the cafeteria may. Be closed. Pack some snacks for dh

Well since you're having a c-section, I actually would pack your own underwear and some of your own pads. I wore the stretchy stuff and used the giant pads for the first day, maybe two, but after that I wore my own stuff and used a much lighter pad. I don't know if you had a c-section last time but with both mine they suck out all the gunk while they are in there so you have very little bleeding...it rocks! I only bled for a total of about 5-6 days and even then it was very light. Those giant pads were only comfortable that first day.

Other than that, I did take a nightgown and a robe but didn't change into my nightie until probably day 3, maybe late on day 2. For sure bring loose pants, probably maternity pants or pajama pants to come home in b/c your incision will be sore! I brought shower stuff and my toothbrush cuz as soon as that catheter came out I jumped in there and cleaned up!

Of course you'll need a take home outfit for baby but I didn't bring any other clothes. If you're going to breastfeed you might consider your boppy, but they usually have some there. You should also be sure to bring your cell phone charger especially if you have a smart phone! Most people brought snacks for my husband but it wouldn't hurt to take a few too!

Good luck and congrats!

I didn't have a c-section, but I would imagine the list is pretty much the same as far as stuff you'll need to pack. I brought a couple changes of pajamas, socks, underwear to come home in, hairbrush, makeup, travel size shower stuff, nursing bras, my own pillow in a colored pillowcase so I wouldn't mix it up with the hospital ones, an extra pillow and blanket for my husband, lots of snacks. I was STARVING in the middle of the night, even after scarfing everything they brought for the meals, so that was essential. Camera, phone with charger, outfit to bring home baby in - next time I will take 2 sizes, my son looked like a clown in his 0-3 mth outfit because he was so tiny, wish I'd considered that and also brought a newborn size outfit.
Also, an outfit for you to come home in that is loose fitting, and appropriate size for about 6 months pregnant. That's about all I can think of right now. Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy, and Congratulations on the new baby!

make sure to bring some comfy pants. You will not want to wear jeans. I would say some yoga type or exercise pants. Maybe some tank tops with the built in bra. I would also bring one of my own pillows. bring some books to read or magazines. The first day youwill probably be sleeping a lot. I would also bring some sandals or flip flops you can slide on your feet. Think that you will not want to bend down or over very much after the c section. Remember, a hairbrush too and may be some makeup.
good luck and congrats.

Don't forget to pack clothes for the baby :-))

For my c-sections I packed, underwear(loose fitting you don't want them rubbing against your incision) socks, extra pillow, tooth brush, tooth paste, travel sizes of soap, and shampoo, robe, something comfortable to wear home, camera, and baby coming home outfit. I just stayed in the hospital gowns the whole time. You will have bleeding, and I didn't want to risk getting blood on my own clothes.

essentials - lip balm, lip balm, lip balm..... and the other obvious things, also, its really nice to have some mints, a headband, a little hand mirror, and some astringent pads by the bed to freshen up. you can bring stuff to do, but i would be worried about my laptop vanishing. for the few moments i wasnt with the baby, all i wanted to do was sleep anyway. the things most people dont tell you - some lightweight comfy clothes, no whites! dark colors are good. things might be messy and then you have a room full of visitors and have to get up to go to the bathroom, you know? a black robe is wonderful. bring some shorts and tanks too, you might be ridiculously hot. a sleep bra is nice to have, esp a nursing one if you will be nursing. the hospital gown is ok, but it sure is nice to change into your own clean clothes after you can shower. *** and... be sure that you or someone else who isnt completely sleep deprived and overwhelmed with emotion checks out the photos before hubby posts them online and sends them out to everyone you know with your hooha right there in the background. thats right...... sigh...... :) lol... best of luck to you

Ditto the snacks, especially if you are nursing. My first two babies I got the glamourmom nursing tanks and wore those in the hospital and loved them. I would also recommend a pair of FLIP FLOPS. I'm not a slipper girl and I swear my bare feet never hit the hospital floor once! My hospital has a fridge for patients on the floor so you can bring whatever you want and leave it there as long as you put your name on it. Good luck!

1 / 3