What Should I Expect with a D&C?

I posted before about being pregnant but only seeing an empty gestational sac. Well, I had my last ultrasound today, which still showed an empty gestational sac that was collapsing on one side. At this point, I know it's a loss and the doctor thought a D&C should be performed because he's worried about a possible ectopic pregnancy. I haven't had any cramps or bleeding, except sometimes when I wipe and don't know how long it would be before I miscarried naturally. At this point I'm ready to have the D&C procedure and put this behind me. Is it safe enough? What should I expect? He said it would be scheduled this week and said I would be ok the next day but that's all he told me.

I am home from the procedure and almost feel like nothing happened. I have very minimal bleeding and no pain or cramping, at least not yet. My husband and I are fine emotionally right now as we are busy taking care of our 14 year old, 3 year old and 4 month old boys. This was much easier to deal with than the one I lost at 5 months and had to be induced and deliver. That was a nightmare! Thanks again for all your replies.

I had one after a misscarriage and there were no side effects. You should not even know you had it done.

Hi KZ,
I'm sorry to hear how it turned out.

The proceedure was pretty basic. Had to register at the hospital, get blood work done that morning, etc. Showed up at 5:00pm and was home by 10:00pm. Had to have someone drive me home and then stay with me for 24 hours cuz of the anesthesia. Physically it was ok, recovery was just like a regular cycle, just a bit heavier.

Emotionally, I was a mess. I had mine the same day that I found out that things were over. Be forewarned that the nurses will use all of the cold, generic, medical terms. The nurse in the prep room, verifying the proceedure, etc. asked me in front of my husband if I had had a failed abortion! I totally freaked! She apologized and said that she just meant that my body hadn't handled things. The nurse called for a grief counselor. I took a few days off of work and my Mom came to stay with me. Give yourself some time.

Surprisingly I was pregnant again a few months later, and was able to carry that pregnancy to term. She will be 2y old next month.
Hugs.

Hi! I haven't read the other responses and see that you have had quite a few, but I wanted to let you know that the procedure is safe. I had one 2 years ago performed by my Ob-Gyn. Physically the recovery wasn't too bad except I bled longer than they said I would (also bled longer than they said after my c-section, so I guess that's just me). I am not an overly emotional person normally, but after the D&C I randomly cried - very often. It lasted for probably a month. I would be sitting on the couch and suddenly start crying and not really know why. I felt like I was going crazy until I did some internet research and found out it was normal - so I just wanted to warn you that it could happen, and if it does you aren't crazy! Good luck.

I will echo what others have said: I've had a D&C, it was no big deal physically. Losing a pregnancy is rough, though. YOu have my sympathy....Also, just fyi, if a nurse or doc should refer to a "failed abortion," be advised this an alternative medical terminology for "miscarriage." Does NOT imply that you've just tried to end a viable pregnancy because you didn't want it. Go ahead, get it done, go home, have a stiff shot of brandy, and cry your eyes out. And then get better.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I've been there, and it's hard. It is a safe procedure though. Usually you're in and out the same day, and you're out during the whole thing. I had no pain. Just couldn't take a shower for 24 hours, and had a little bleeding (like a light period) for a few days. There is also sometimes a possibility that they can have the tissue removed tested to try to find out why the pregnancy ended. It helped for me to find out the cause. I hope everything goes ok, and that you are ok. It takes time, but it does get better.

I see that you have already gotten some responces, but I just wanted to post my experience. I had a D&C 3 years ago after a miscarriage. I was 4 months pregnant and the babys heartbeat had stopped. My Dr also suggested the D&C because they didnt know when or if I would miscarry (the baby had stopped growing but my uterus still thought I was pregnant and was still growing) I was very scared and upset, but it was not a bad experience at all. After being put to sleep, I dont remember a thing. When I woke up, and went home, there was some cramping, like menstral cramps but not as bad. They gave me pain meds to take, and I slept a lot the first 2 days. I will add that 3 months later, I was pregnant with my daughter, who is now 2...
I had more emotional pain during that time than physical pain. It is a very safe procedure and recovery is fast. Make sure you get some rest after the surgery, and get pampered while recovering. Surround yourself with friends and family to keep your spirits up. You will be in my prayers.

K Z, you'll be fine! It's a very short and simple procedure that they do. Because of the anesthesia, you'll be sleepy afterwards or a bit drained but other than that, you'll be fine. I wish you the best and I'll keep you in my prayers.

i am very sorry for your loss. i had a d&c several years ago before i finally had to have a hysterctomy due to fibroids. the afterwards of dc were a bit of cramping and fellt like i had my period you know pain in legs etc. but i was ok.

K.Z.

I had a D&C six years ago. I was pregnant, but then had a vaginal ultrasound and the doctor couldn't find a heartbeat. I had to wait a few days for the procedure and went to the outpatient surgery center. You can't eat after dinner the night before, but you can drink water so your veins don't collapse when they try to put in the IV (something they neglect to tell you). The procedure itself was easy to get over, I went home the shortly after I woke up from the anesthesia. The first day wasn't bad. It was the next day that was awful. My hormones started disapating pretty quickly, and the drop is really hard to deal with and difficult to explain to some one who hasn't experienced it. Take at least a week off from work and make sure you have someone to stay with you if your husband has to go to work. Choose carefully; my brother was great because he didn't even pretend to understand. My sister was a total bad-word because she thinks she knows everything and is totally thoughtless. I know I cried for a week. One third of the women in the world are crying with you because that is how many have had miscarriages.

Five months later I conceived my beautiful daughter and she truly is a gift from God. My prayers are with you.

A.

1 / 3