What Should I Do About My Son Peeing on the Floor?

I have to tell you, the Terrible Three's is really kicking my butt. And there have been a lot of things to go through, but I am surviving. But the recent event has me thrown for a loop.

My son is 3 1/2 years old and can be rambunctious. About 2 months ago, my son started peeing on the floor. At first it started out where he was peeing around the toilet. Now however, it has moved to peeing on the floor. When I ask him he says he does not know why. Sometimes it is a puddle of pee, but mostly it is "drizzle". Just yesterday, my husband was talking to him about baseball, and my son drizzled a little on the floor. This had daddy puzzled because he did it right in front of him. When he asked my son why he peed, he said he did not know why.

My son will also pee while he is in timeout. But I KNOW this is for revenge or payback.

I took him to the doctor about 2 weeks ago and the doctor ran tests and could not find anything. He has also been to the doctor last October about peeing literally every 2 minutes. The doctor could not find anything and we (me, the doctor, and my son's teacher) thought it might be because he wanted attention, or just bored.

I thought if I took away things he really loved; that might nip this in the bud, and so far, (it's been about a week) it has been ok. But this "peeing on the floor" incident yesterday while daddy was talking to him, and another incident this morning made me wonder if any of you moms have gone through this problem. If so, PLEASE, PLEASE, let me know. I am curious to know how you handled it.

Thanks.

L.,
In my opinion, it sounds like a behavioral issue, especially since you've had him checked out at the pediatrician. My son, who is very strong-willed, had similar issues when he was about the same age (peeing in time out, peeing in places he shouldn't as a willful act) and we made him clean it up & disciplined him as well. The behavior went away after consistently disciplining him for a couple weeks. Now, at 4 1/2, he just wants to pee outside wherever we are, which is a whole other issue!! :)

My guess would be that he wanted to see what dad was going to do/react to his actions. He knows what he can or cannot do and with whom. I would suggest, in addition to taking things away,making him help in the cleaning also.

Our 2 1/2 year old likes to "test" us about once a month, and she has to help clean-up. (We actually have her help even if its a true accident). She will get the paper towels, help put them on the floor and then take them to the trash. If she is "testing" us (several missed trips to the potty in a day, she has to go back to a pull-up for the rest of the day. We explain to her that she doesn't get to wear her big girl panties if she doesn't go potty like a big girl. She understands this and it works.

I hope this helps! Best of luck! Just be consistant with whatever you choose!

My 2.5 year old son behaves similarly. Barring any medical reasons, it's definitely a control and "payback" issue. My son is still in Pullups because of it.

When your husband was talking with your son about baseball, was he trying to give him guidance or something else that may have maded your son feel reprimanded? That could have been why he reacted that time.

I look forward to reading the responses and getting ideas for us as well. Good luck!

I would consider a specialist I am sure your doctor is very good at what he does. However since this is still an issue sometimes since doctors are human and can over look something it might be a good idea to seek another opinion. Do you know the George Lopez?? think comedy...ok do you recall his health condition..google him and see. For years teachers would tell him he didn't have to pee hold it, hold it a bit longer. Well, he did have a problem and it was later in life he needed surgery. Not to say this is your son's condition just saying sometimes there's more then what we think and can sometimes get over looked by another doctor.

L., when you say doctor is it his pediatrician of a urologist? If you have not consulted with a pediatric urologist I suggest you do right away. Little boys will often do things like that but if he has no idea why he's doing it then it's a problem.

I would take him to a pediatric urologist. GA Urology has an entire team of them. The peeing on the floor while talking to his Dad and some of the other stuff sounds like it may have a medical cause. Your doctor just may not know about it if he/she isn't a urologist. I think it's sometimes normal over the course of getting fully potty trained and being a toddler that they act out by going in inappropriate places or test different things out (my 3 year old boy definitely uses going in his pants as a control and "payback" thing). It just sounds like your son may really have something going on that he can't control.

Hum, I'm going to try to cover all the bases here......You say the DR has done tests, but you didn't say for what so I'm going to assume for UTI, bladder and kidney infectins. Did he also do a CBC blood test to see if his white blood cells were up? This would be a sign of infection in the body.

He is only 3 1/2 so he could be testing and or falling off the wagon of being potty trained. From what I've read, it's not uncommon for them to regress once in a while. My son is 3 and started having accidents at night out of the blue for a few weeks and then they stopped just as fast! Also, you might want to reconsider the standing thing when he is going potty. I still make my son sit down only for the fact that he has no aim yet!! And sometimes it doesn't come out in a straight stream either. He is only allowed to stand when he is outside at a tree! lol A friend of mine has a 4yr old and every time he is at my house I have a pee covered toilet, all the way up to the top of the seat because he can't aim and he does this at home too. Drives me nuts!!

You didn't say where your son was when he peed while talking to dad, but you should make him help clean up when he does do this. If all else fails, you might want to take him to a urologist and have him looked over to make sure there isn't somthing more going on with him.

First, he needs to be taken to the bathroom at regular intervals, even though he may not "need" to go. Second, make sure the child has cranberry juice (with apple juice if he doesn't like straight - or grape juice) for a couple weeks. It helps in case of infection that may be coming on. Third, have him clean it up - even though he doesn't do a good job. At 3 1/2 they get independent about everything. Tell him that he's getting to be a "big" boy and needs to take care of himself or people will say he smells.

1 / 3