What Should I & How Often Should I Be Feeding My 7 Month Old?

Hi. I have a 7 month old baby girl and I wanted some feedback as to how often and what types of foods should I be giving her at this stage. She has two little teeth that are coming in, and developmentally she is able to sit up on her own. She has formula as her primary diet (about 30 or so oz's a day) along with some Gerber fruit in the morning and occaisionally a pureed Gerber vegetable at night. Is this enough? Should I be incorporating more food with her dinner time regime? What types of "snacks" are good for her? Help! I need some ideas. Thanks!

What you're doing sounds great. I have a son about the same age and that is what we are doing. Sometimes if he's really hungry he gets to jars of food at night. The Gerper Puffs are great for this age. Its just a snack that they can put in their mouths and it desolves. They have fruit and veggie flavors. You can also start to incorporate meats here very soon.

Are you not feeding this baby cereal? The first thing that should be introduced to babies is Rice cereal and that along with her formula should be her primary diet. Slowly then introduce more single ingrediant cereals and fruits and vegetables - one every three days or so in order to make sure there is no sensitivity - until she is eatting a wide range of things. At about 9 months she can eat more combination cereals and foods. Best wishes....

Each parent is different but here was what I was feeding my kids at that age.

In the morning they would get their 8-9oz bottle of formula. A little while after that I would give them a snack of plain cherrios or rice krispies since both dissolve easily. At lunch they would get 1 jar of fruit and 1 jar of veggies, but 7 months they were on Stage 2 foods, followed by a bottle a little bit afterwards. Another snack in the afternoon, cherrios or biter biscuit. Then at dinner they would get a bowl of baby cereal mixed with formula and another bottle before bed. I never gave them a bottle in the bed--that is a bad habit to start and HARD to break.

The cereal at night sustained them and they slept through the night from about 4 or 5 months old.

Hi! I also had questions about feeding. A friend directed me to Gerber's website http://www.gerber.com/sthealthitem?id=5261
This had a great chart that targets independent sitters, crawlers, walkers, etc. You can also call your pediatrician and ask for their advice. Hope that helps!

Until 8 mths bm or formula is the most important staple in your babies diet and should be about 90% of their nutritional intake. Until this time, really just consider solids as practice and don't worry about how much you feed - concentrate on milk (we just did two solid meals -1 gerber stage 2 serving (with cereal) - a day and 4 milk feedings around this time - 7ounces each).

Around 8 mths solids start gaining in importance but milk is still more important. Figure milk 75% nutrition and solids 25%. Around the 10mth mark you see a change and solids take a big increase 50%-50%. Until this time many feed milk first and then solids an hour later. Often, this switches around the 10th month to recognize the added importance of solids. My son is 10mths old and we are on three solid meals and three milk feedings a day. By the time he is a year we will be down to two solid meals, a solid snack and two milk feedings.

My daughter is 6 1/2 months old and eats two times a day (which was recommended be our pediatrician) in addition to breast milk. For breakfast she has cereal mixed with breast milk (probably 4-5 tablespoons of cereal) and half a container of fruit (stage 2). For dinner she has 1 1/2 containers of vegetables- she used to have cereal and 1/2 a container, but has become finicky about having cereal at night.

She is able to eat plain cookies (as long as she's being watched) and there are plenty of little snacks that Gerber makes that she can eat once she gets used to eating more often.

The best advice will obviously come from your doctor.

You can start giving her her soft foods that you eat. Cheerios are good. She won't choke on them, they have holes. It would probably feel good to her teeth coming in. Try giving her pasta to chew on and veggies cut into small peices you can even give her protein cut into small peices. Don't be afraid of the food. She will probably love to explore the new tastes. Watch out for those gerber puffs they have a lot of sugar. It is the second ingredient listed. You can do the jar food if you prefer, but it is same thing that you would eat. I started my daughter off with baby applesauce at 3 months. So I think however you do things is up to you. If your baby is happy and healthy you are doing things right!

Mine is 7 1/2 months.
We do 7oz bottle, cereal, bottle, jar of fruit, bottle, jar of veggies and 1/2 jar of fruit, and bottle.
At daycare she also snacks on crackers and basically anything that she can hold. She gets lots of cherrios during dinner. The fruit puffs do have sugar, but it's like 25 calories for 1/4 cup. I don't think my girl could eat that many. I use them between spoonfuls of veggies that she's not fond of and then she'll eat more. She also loves cut up banana and will knaw on a wheat bagel forever.
I'm getting ready to add meats to dinner, so I will probably take away a few ounces of formula at the same time.

1 / 3