What Nipples Are Closest to Breastfeeding.

My baby is due in Aug. and I'm doing a little planning. I want to nurse, but I'll have to pump while I'm at work. I want to avoid the mess I faced with my daughter. I thought it would be easier to pump into a bottle and feed it to her but when I tried to get her to latch on, she would refuse. I'd like to know what nipples (if any) might help me. What kind is best to use with nursing so this baby won't refuse nursing directly from me.
Thanks!!

I think it depends on the baby. I used slow flow Medela nipples with my son intermittently starting from about a week old and he was fine with both starting then and still is.

T.,
You should start out breastfeeding for the first 2-3 weeks then introduce a bottle, although you should not be the one to feed the baby from the bottle. Make the bottle introduction a smooth process that can take a few weeks if needed and not at every feeding. This should help, I used the Advent bottles with the low flow nipples.

When I had my daughter the hospital bag had The First Years bottle. I found more at Babies R Us. They are the ones with two nipples so the baby has to suck hard when using the bottle. They worked great for us.

hi T., i did the same thing and i used the playtex drop-ins, the brown nipple is very similar to the nipple. i tried several and that was the best. you can feel the nips, the brown ones are softer and the clear ones feel plastic like. good luck.

T.,

My lactation consultant said to keep them on slow flow, even when they get older and could handle a faster flow. Also nipples with a wide base. My daughter liked the Gerber bottles best, but also the ones with disposable inserts are helpful. You can get the breast milk storage bags that double as the disposable inserts, and then you don't have to worry about it being sterile or spilling precious milk. It's a lot of work to pump and you don't want to end up spilling it on the counter! Good luck!

I like NUK (got mine at wal mart) because the nipple is flat on the bottom and milk actually comes out of top of nipple, ok I didnt explain that very well, you should go look at them and see what I mean!! Good luck!!

I have had to return to work while breast feeding 5 times now and the best nipples I have found were the Playtex and Aventi Air nursers. It was the easiest for me and my children's father because he stayed home with them. We found it best to pump it a regular bottle for storage purposes but he transfered the milk to a the nursers when he was ready to feed the babies. The only big difference between the two is that the Playtex ones were disposabele and sterile and easier to use for travel. The Aventi was reusable. They both limit the air baby takes in when nursing if used properly. I wish you all the best and commend you for taking making the best choice for your baby. It is work but worth it. They don't say eating at Mom's is best for nothing.

Personally I liked the nipples for the Playtex Drop-in bottles. I found that my breastfeeding children accepted these more than any other nipple. My son actually preferred the 'old' style of Playtex nipples that were a little bit more square and actually move in and out as they suck. I also had less trouble with spitting up WHEN they did have a bottle.

The infant that I watch also uses these bottles and has used them since day one. Her mom was able to breastfeed and pump until she was nine months old and she never had nipple confusion.

We tried Advent and Evenflo bottles without any success.

T.,

When I nursed and would bottle feed I use the Playtex Bottles with the brown nipples. They look close to the real thing and I never had any problems.

1 / 3