K.B. asks from Dulles, VA on November 17, 2010
What My Child's School Does Really Well.
My child's school really does ___ well(in no particular order). This is in addition to providing a good education.
1. Celebrations complete with decorations
2. Accellerated Reading-it is rightly not tied to grades and no teacher goes overboard on it
3. Library usage-they can go almost anytime to get books
4. Safety-except at dismissal, only the front door is unlocked and there are cameras everywhere
6. Daily physical activity-they have to order some kids not to sit at recess, but at least they have to walk around
7. Makes each child feel welcome by knowing their names and greeting them in the hallways. Tries the same with parents.
8. Provides free tutoring to any child now, not just those failing. Makes special reading clubs for struggling kids who have no adult help.
9. Does a lot of collecting for charity(food, coats, pennies, candy).
D.B. answers from Charlotte on November 17, 2010
I only have time for one -
They put the assignments and grades on-line. SO helpful for high schoolers!
1 mom found this helpful
K.S. answers from Minneapolis on November 17, 2010
1) Year round schedule (LOVE IT!) and looping (teacher stays with students for 2 years)
2) They handle diversity really well. Diversity is a critical part of the school's culture. All students take Community Cultures, classroom teachers use a social curriculum that teaches students how to respect each other.
3) Clean, well maintained building.
4) Direct but positive discipline. The focus is not on "punishment" but on helping students develop self-control and the skills to make positive learning choices and positive social interaction
5) Lots of science including a full time science teacher (this is elementary school)
6) Recess and physical education
7) Free or low cost family activities a few times a quarter often including a free meal.
8) Differentiated learning in math and reading available in the classroom.
9) Great communication from teachers
10) Allow parent volunteers in the classrooms.
K.A. answers from Grand Junction on November 17, 2010
1. School Accountability Meeting for whomever wants to attend.
2. Keeps the kids happy and wanting to learn. (GREAT TEACHERS!!!)
3. A LOT of parent volunteers. ALL the time. They send out weekly "needs" lists.
4. Communication about the school and the community.
5. VERY positive.
R.K. answers from Boston on November 17, 2010
L.C. answers from Dover on November 17, 2010
What my child's school does really well:
1. They still have art, music, and life skills as a part of their curriculum. Until we moved here my daughter had NEVER had an art class. They have a choir for 3rd grade and above.
2. They are supportive of military families.
3. They make a point to celebrate achievements as they happen and don't wait until reward day.
4. They communicate very well with the parents. We hear from the school by phone on average of twice a week letting us know what's going on at the school as well as in their take home folders.
5. Security is incredible.
6. My daughter's teacher is truly amazing. He doesn't just teach her, he makes her feel valued.