What Kind of Lotion to Use on My Kids Faces??

Hi. I'm sure many of you mothers can give me your advice but I'm not sure what the best product to use on my children's faces for dry chapped skin. They have very dry red skin on their chins and cheeks and I am looking for something very mild because my daughter has eczema issues. Thanks for your help!

My kids have both had issues with eczema and dry skin, and their pediatrician recommended either Aquaphor or Eucerin. I've used both and had pretty good results with both. It depends on how chapped their skin is. Aquaphor is more like vasaline if their skin is really chapped, whereas the Eucerin is a creamy lotion more for "upkeep" if you will.
Also for washing... she recommended Cetaphil, since it does not contain soap which can dry the skin, but is a very mild cleanser.

Hi A. -

We have had the best luck with Vanicream. It is a thick lotion that I put all over their bodies but especially on my girls' faces. They have very sensative skin, one with eczema and one with keratosis pilaris. The Vanicream is awesome. I get it over the counter at the pharmacy in Target.

I agree with the moms who said Vanicream.
I have two sensitive skinned daughters, so it's a nice, clean cream without too much junk in it.
We also use good old vaseline at night on their cheeks.

Hi A.~

My name is A. and I just wanted to encourage you to think about giving your kiddos omega-3's to help with the dry chapped skin. Many mom's think that lotion is the answer but typically dry skin/eczema is a lack of the essential oils like omega-3 in the body!

Let me know if I can help you further!

A.

P.S. I give my kids a certain brand of omega-3's as well:)

I use coconut oil on my own face after I shower. I've also used olive oil on my own hands and on my infant son after he has a bath. They're both food products, so they're completely safe. It would sound like an oil would cause breakouts, but I've found the opposite to be true. In fact, if I have a skin irritation on my legs or something, I'll apply coconut oil and it will clear up in a matter of days. Coconut oil, apparently, has been used for centuries as a way to keep skin supple. It's not your usual looking oil in a jar because it's solid at room temperature. (It's a saturated fat.) However, I spread the chunky stuff on my skin and it melts within seconds. Look for it in the natural foods section of your grocery store. It's about $8 a jar (last time I looked), but it's still cheaper per oz. than most lotions.

If you decide to go with a lotion, you may want to check out www.cosmeticsdatabase.org to find out how toxic it could be. Even though lotions are applied EXTERNALLY, remember that our skin is porous and absorbs things quite easily. It's the largest organ in (or on) our body, so it should be treated with as much care as our liver, lungs, heart, etc.

Hi A.:
Just pay close attention to the ingredients in the product that you choose for your kids' face. Our skin is our largest organ and whatever we put on it get absorbed into our organs and bloodstream so be sure you're not putting extra toxins and harsh chemicals on your children's skin. Be sure to make a wise choice and check the ingredient label. If water or oil is the first ingredient, it means that there's about 80% of that ingredient in the product (water completely dillutes the ingredient and oil completely clogs the pores so the skin can't breathe). So some of the products may help lubricate the outer layer of skin and make it feel a little better, but you're doing nothing for the underlying condition which is most likely dryness. The dryness starts in the 2nd and 3rd layers so you need to find a product that penetrates into the skin, which means one that has no oils or fillers. I'm a first believer in L'Bri Pure n' Natural's skin care products, namely Intensive Moisture cream for eczema and severe dryness. Check out the ingredients:

Intensive Moisture Creme

This Exclusive Formula Contains: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (Stabilized Gel), Centella Asiatica (Hydrocotyl) Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Glycerin, Dimethicone, Squalane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Camella Sinesis (Green Tea)Leaf Extract, Ceteayl Alcohol, Hypnea Musciformis Extract, Gelidiela Acerosa Extract, Sargassum Fillipendula Extract, Sorbitol, Tocopheryl (Vitamin E) Acetate, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, ,Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Retinyl (Vitamin A) Palmitate, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Cyclomethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Ceteareth 20, Carbomer, Hinokitiol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, Cucumber Essence

Hi A., two things - use a good soap - so many of them like Ivory are very drying, so a handmade soap is best. I would recommend pure natural shea butter for their faces. You can't get any more natural than that. Keep in mind that any lotion with water in it will have preservatives, which are chemicals. Good luck!

My daughter has sensitive skin, so we use Aquaphor for her skin (back, legs and arms) every night, but I wasn't sure about putting it so close to her mouth. So I use the left over lanolin from when I was breastfeeding for her cheeks. It's natural, so if they do accidently ingest any, it's not going to harm them. After putting it on in the morning and evening for a day or two, it's usually cleared up.

We use Eucerin Creme on our baby's face. He had dry spots that looked like scrapes or bad acne, and they cleared up within a few days. We use it morning and night. It's the super heavy creme, not the lotion.

Good luck! Looks like you got a lot of good responses -- one of them should work:)

Lots of responses, but we have used Eucerin cream as well, with great results.

1 / 3