What Kind of Kids Shoes Do You Buy? (2 Questions)

Do you buy your kids expensive Nike, etc... shoes or just tennis shoes from K-Mart, Target, or Wal-Mart?

Also, being a parent who grew up playing sports and always having the shoes that go with that sport i.e. basketball shoes, cleats for softball and tennis shoes for just tennis I feel that it is important for my kids to also have the proper shoes. Do you as a parent just let your kids wear tennis shoes for everything or do they have specific shoes for specific sports?

I buy all name brand, quality shoes for my kids- Nike, Puma, Addidas, New Balance, Skechers, Crocs. BUT, I am an extremely good shopper and I almost always spend less on those brands than I would reg. price on Target/Payless/Walmart knock offs. I wait until off season or there is a good sale and I stock up by buying sizes ahead of time. My kids also wear all the corresponding shoes for sports- soccer cleats, baseball cleats, etc....same thing with those- wait for sales, buy ahead of time, etc. I would NEVER make any of my kids wear used shoes. Not only do I find it gross, but I also can't imagine that it is healthy to wear a pair of shoes that has already formed to another person's feet.

For sneakers, I always buy my son Sketchers or New Balance. They last the longest of any other brand, hands down. I save myself tons of money buying one nice pair that he can wear for a long time. Those cheaper brands at Walmart or Target last about 1 month.
As for sports, it's two pair- cleats and the tennis shoes. I don't buy multiple pairs for sports.

1st kid: brand new name brand

2nd kid: hand me down's and target brand

3rd kid: hand me downs from friends

I can't bring myself to spend $30 on shoes for ME, I'm not spending $100 on shoes for 3 kids, NO WAY!! Sticker shock!!

The past few years I've found REALLY good deals online for the girls, and I'm hoping to do this again this year. The only downside is I still have to drag them to Stride Rite to make sure I'm buying the right size, and obviously every brand is different so buying online leaves room for error.

I'm not even buying new school shoes for the girls until flip flop season is over, otherwise they'd outgrow them by Christmas!

When it comes to their most worn shoes, especially tennis shoes, we ten to go with Nike, Stride Rite or Sketchers...they are just cuter I think (my boys just turned six)....we have bought shoes for them at Payless but usually it's sandals or knock off Crocs...yes, we have bought the appropriate sport shoe when needed, especially for my 13 year old daughter when she played basketball, my husband insisted the proper higher shoe was necessary for basketball....didn't really matter to me but I let him think he was making a really important and necessary decision :-)

Stride Rite, or Payless has a good brand with Shock absorbers I think they are called smart fit...unless they are hard soles shoes, like dress shoes I do not use someone elses shoes because everyone has a differnet imprint to their foot and way they lean. BUT that is just one of my quirks and I have no problem pasing on my kids shoes to other people or think less if they use, used shoes.

I have a 3 yr old. I try to buy him StrideRite's when I see them at the local thrift store. Otherwise, I go to Payless and Target and get him whatever. We've been lucky and have gotten a lot of hand-me-downs, so whatever fits, he wears.

I think, for sports, they should wear the proper shoes. They make shoes specific for certain sports b/c of the terrain, b/c of the way you run, b/c of lots of factors. When my son starts sports, I'll get him the right kind of shoes.

Good questions! In our family, we always buy good quality shoes because unlike clothing, ill-fitting shoes can have lasting, negative affects. My husband is an edurance runner and a running coach (for fun, his day job is being a soldier lol). He has always insisted on buying good shoes for the family. He knows exactly what bad shoes can do and it's not pretty. If I have to choose between a pricey shirt at the mall or good shoes, the shoes win every time. As soon as our daughter started walking, we went to Stride Rite. She is ten now and has gone through tons of shoes but the only ones I don't mind going cheap on are flip flops and dress shoes she'll wear once :) And as for sports, I would also buy the appropriate shoes. I played softball and daughter plays baseball. Definitely need cleats for that, if she were to play basketball, again, specific shoes are pretty necessary. I played tennis for a bit and thought I could get away with wearing my normal athletic shoes. Nope! There's nothing worse than tearing a knee up because of the wrong shoes. Ouch!

I buy the best shoes for my kids that I can afford. Currently they're in Clarks sandals. normally put of my price range, but I found a great sale. Every pair of cheap shoes from target or pay less that I've bought have ripped or not fit right or worn out in three months.

If we have the money I take them to Nordy's and buy them Toms. They are farely inexpensive for shoes from that store...and they can get wet...washed and dried in the maker of a half and hour.

My kids wont really wear anything but their Toms now.

If and when my kiddo's get into extra activities they will have the shoe for the sport. With injuries happening more frequently and some of them serious you should have the right thing for the right sport.

When we are broke I normally will go to consignment shops and buy used everything.....You can normally find cleats, basket ball shoes...The one be me even regularly has Baseball/football pants for the uniforms...for practice at least.

1 / 3