What Kind of Items Are Best for Teething Infants

My 4-month old is starting the teething process. I am not sure what sort of teether items would help alleviate her discomfort. Any ideas? She seems to want to chew on everything.

T. M.,
For my daughter who is now three, I used to get a baby washcloth put it in sterilized/bottled water, put it in a plasic baggy and let her chew on that. With my kids they didn't like the teether toys. Another thing we used to do is just mash up ice and hold it for her while she would gum it...messy but worth it!! Good luck!

Hello T., well, I used to give my kids those earth's best teething biscuits, which they enjoyed, but they got kind of gross after some chewing...But I was in the store yesterday, and a grandma had her teething grandson on her hip, and she mentioned he is getting in back teeth, and LOVES frozen bananas for teething. Sound safe and good to me. Anyway, just don't give your baby plastic teething rings...toxic pvc's etc..Good luck!

Hi T.,

Frozen mini bagels work well (nothing broke off of them when I watched our little guy - they just got soggy), as do the frozen washcloths that others have mentioned. We also used Hyland teething tablets and had great success.

If you're breastfeeding, you can freeze your breastmilk like ice cubes and give those to have her chew on through a mesh pacifier. Also, you can make strong chamomile tea, chill it and dip a wash cloth in it and let her chew on it. The tea really helps.

frozen pizza crust feels good and is hard to break off. Teething tablets or gel worked well for us too. The teething biscuits I feel should be saved for older babies, as I thought they break off in big pieces too easily. Good luck!

There are some great ideas on this post - just a word of warning. I bought teething rings, soft gels, hard gels and teething beads and my 5-month old rejected each one. He preferred to chew on a cool cloth more than anything! Now that he's 6 months, he will reach and grab for the teething beads, but all the other aids he wants nothing to do with. Watch and see what your little one likes. Hopefully it's something simple! Good luck!

a cold wet washcloth is good (and inexpensive)

there are lots of teething items out there... the one thing you want to be careful with though is if they are filled with water and the instructions say not to put it in the freezer to chill it that you don't do that... put it in the refrigerator. and make sure she can hold on to it - another of my kids liked the little blanket that had different teething textures on each corner.

when one of my kids got older and was teething at 9 months or so.. I put them in a high chair and let them chew on a frozen green bean or french fry.. she LOVED it.

frozen carrots and the hylands teething gel and tablets.
they seem to like things that they can get back in their mouth.. however it is scarey that they also choke themselves.. but if you watch her... my babies always liked to chew on those toddler spoons the plastic ones.. anything shaped long so they can reach all their gums not just the front ones.. and my finger was always a good relief too!

T. M.,

1 / 3