What Kind of Bite?

So, my son is now 21 months old. and LOVES the outdoors. the sitter is great about taking the kids out about every day (unless it's raining) and he is thriving and healthy. one of their favorite outdoor activities is playing in the sprinkler, however, we think that the water is washing off the bug repellant, because he has gotten three pretty nasty bites in the last few weeks. one on his arm, one on his leg, and the most recent on his ear. they swell up HUGE, about the size of a quarter or bigger, and they get a small head of puss in the middle. his poor ear swelled up SO bad, he looked like a lopsided dumbo! he doesn't act like they hurt, but he has scratched them which makes them look even worse. it's not a constant scratching, just the once for the most part, then he mostly leaves it alone. he is young so i don't know if he is just super-sensitive (he does have eczema but no allergies that we know of), a mosquito bite gone wild, or if it's something more serious - the other daycare kids, as well as my sitter's kids, don't get these giant welts so i assume whatever it is, they're not having the reaction he is. my question is does anyone have any experience in this? what else can i do other than make sure the sitter puts on bug repellant (and i can't make him stay out of the water, he loves it TOOO much!) and put neosporin on it once he gets one? is it something he will grow out of? any words of wisdom, as always, are appreciated. thanks!

Hi C.- I watch my 2 yo nephew and he reacts the same way to bug bites. I spray him with Off and he still seems to end up with huge swollen welts especially on his ankles and ears. It is so sad. My sister called the doctor and they suggested putting Cortisone cream on the bites and giving him Benadryl. Good Luck!

I haven't read the other responses but Emme reacts worse to bug bites than the normal person. She got one between her temple and eye last year that made her eye swell shut. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hi C., I can't really offer much advice, but when I get bit, my bug bites (mostly mosquito) swell up really big like that too. It looks sort of gruesome, but it isn't any worse than a "regular" bite. I'm the only one in my family that this happens to, so I would guess that is all that's happening.

I think Bull Frog may make a sunscreen/bug spray that you could look into, I know that brand is fairly good at not coming off without a fight!

Poor little guy! I know how you feel. My daughter, who is now nearly 9, used to be the same exact way. Any mosquito bite she got, it would swell up like a huge welt, turn bright red, be hot to the touch(!), have a little puss in the middle of the bite, and eventually turn blueish like a bruise. It seriously looked like she was beaten a few times! Just awful. :-( This unfortunately lasted for a long time through her toddlerhood. Now, her bites are not quite as bad since she is older. I think it was due in part to her sensitve skin and the reaction from bites. Since your son already has sensitive skin, it might be a factor. They do make some repellents that are water proof, but I think the sitter will just have to put it on regularly while he is outside and then perhaps give a bath once he's finally done with outside play (to wash off any harmful chemicals). I hated putting it on, but figured washing it off later was better than getting the horrible bites to begin with. One other thing...do you have pets or do your neighbors? When our daughter was very little (8 mos-2years) , she attended a super daycare, however had some very serious bites one time. The had the same appearance. We took her to the pediatrician because they were so awful looking and they found out they were fleas! Uggg. We do not have pets, nor did at the time, but they were in the yard of the daycare so eventually they did a big time spraying of the property. Okay, sorry for the long post....best of luck to you and your little guy!

Im a grandma , but my son use to swell up horribly from misquito bites like egg size, but they never head a head on them sounds more like a spider bite sounds like your handling it right for now do ya know that they make benadryl for kids it for allergic reactions

Hope this helps
G.G.
Grandma G.

When I was younger and I got bit by mosquitos they swelled up bigtime. I found some home remedies that may help the itch.

http://www.home-remedy.org/home-remedies-for-mosquito-bit...

Hope they help your little guy

I'm allergic to ant bites (and other bites) and I used to get the puss filled centers and swelled up like a balloon when I was bit by an ant (still do really). It is possible that the bites are from ants. I know you are thinking how did he get one on his ear. Well, ants can live in water and it's possible that he either rolled around in the grass or the ant was flung up in the water and landed on his head. You never know.

As for the itching, put some Benedryl gel or some sort of anithistamine on it. Give him an oral antihistamine and the swelling should go down. It sounds as though he is having an allergic reaction to the bite.

Have the sitter reapply the bug spray after the water activity. That will prevent more bites when he is outside playing. Good Luck and God Bless.

Good Morning C., it is probably those pesky mosquito's that is getting him. I use the After bite dabber on one of our 3 y/o gr son's. It doesn't sting or anything and seems to keep the swelling to a minium. He swells like your little one does also. They do make a sunscteen with repellant in it also that stays on longer in water. It's in my car right now or I would tell you the brand name.. ;)

He should out grow it soon also. With senitive skin it just seems to be larger then normal. Personally I love the little dumbo ears :) Adorable

God Bless
K. nana of 5

1 / 3