What Kind of Activities Can I Do with My 4 Month Old?

I am a stay at home mom and my husband and I have put aside 1 day each month for "family day". My issue is that I don't know what to do? Yesterday we went to the Shed Aquarium and had a great time. What else is out there?

I've been taking my kids to Music Together since they were 2 mos. old. It's a great music program for kids 0-5 years old. Many babies go, too. There are classes in the city at Sherwood Conservatory on Michigan and 13th and in the suburbs. We're taking one in Oak Brook now. If you google Music Together, you'll find their site and can find a location near you. The kids all love it and it's not too expensive.

Since she is so small, just somewhere to spend time is the best for all of you. You can try the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum by Lincoln Park Zoo. And if it is a nice day, hit the zoo also.

Huggies online has a fantastic site. You type in the age and a few other search criteria (outdoor/indoor) and they'll give you a list of activities.

Hi C.~
At this young age it's all about the senses, besides the zoos which we love, How about the public gardens & the conservitories... point out the colors, smells and textures. Go to the park and feel the grass and the trees, visit other parks in different areas of the city.
(I now live on the Southwest Side and will drive up to parks I grew up at on the far Northwest side.) Visit farmer's markets or I've even taken "field trips" with my daughter to whole foods to see, feel and smell all the interesting produce. Take a blanket and camp out at the library or even Borders to read books and listen to free music. It's not so much where you go, it's about all of you spending that time together. Keep visiting these places over and over again, every time you go, you child will get something different out of your adventure. enjoy!

Check out the Childrens Museum in Bourbannais (sp), Dupage Chidren's Museum, Frankfort Children's Museum or open gym at Gym Kinetics. I know Gym Kinetics has baby classes, and dupage is just such a busy place that watching all the other kids would be so entertaining that would be exciting!! Just spending time strolling the mall until the weather breaks can be exciting too!

She is still pretty little to do much. But when our kids were little we bought a Brookfield Zoo pass every year and we rotated each year which museum we bought a pass for. When they were old enough we bought passes for Great America. So whenever we had a day off and the kids were out of school we had something to do. Now that they are older we go downtown Chicago and just do fun things there...see shows and go to dinner. When our kids were real little we would go to Chuckie Cheese on sunday afternoons around 3:00 and it would be almost empty by that time and they would play all the games and ride the rides. While my husband and I just sat at the table and talked. Oh the good old days when your kids aren't running in 5 different directions at once. Now we feel like bus drivers taking them to all their school activities. We do take family days still.

Garfield Park Conservatory is great. Suggested donation is five dollars, and parking is free. Both of my kids loved to go there when they were babies, and still do. I think all of the colors gave them a lot of healthy stimulation, not to mention a great pick me up for myself during those long winter months.

Check out your local library. See what types of programs they have available. My local library has a play group on saturdays and baby wiggleworms, baby story time and they offer free passes to local zoos and childrens museums. Also, check our your local park district and see what they have available. I'm sure you'll be able to find something of interest!

1 / 3