What kind of activities can I do with my 2 year old at home?

Ok, it is summer time but due to one thing and another we only have one car.

so i was wondering what kind of activities i can do with my almost 2 year old at home during the day.

we have our own little sand pit, we love to colour and paint, i just need some more craft ideas, we like to read lots of books and play cars. i am just stuck. i need more activitey ideas if not for him more change for me.

well any ideas would be great.

Summary

A lot of moms suggested to do craft work with the toddler, reading and games. Check out the article for other moms' creative ideas.

Thank you guys so much for all your input, any time you have another idea please do send them my way. a new idea is always good for the next week.

I think i am going to have to get a planning book put together of the different craft ideas.

thank you.

mel.

I have been a SAHM for 17 years. I have 3 children,
a daughter (17, and 2 sons (15 and 11). Like you, I looked for "activities" to do with my children. If I could do it over again, I would do things differently.

The habits they develop in the home now they will carry with them into their teen years and beyond.

I would start my day with them with a morning devotion. Then, make a picture check list for them to "get ready for their day" - BR, wash face, brush teeth, get dressed, make bed, etc. and get a sticker or an angel stamp when they're done.
Have them start a load of laundry with you. Having them sort by color teaches them, and, they love to help fold. They are so proud to show you what they can do.
Have them help you set the table for each meal. (You can draw on any piece of paper a table setting - plate/bowl in center, fork on left, butter knife and spoon on right), put it at a place and have them put each item on top until they can do it without the paper.
Have them help you get out the food and help prepare it. A great activity to do together is to bake bread/rolls. They are so proud when they can make it for Daddy!
Have them help clear and wash dishes. They feel very important wearing an apron.
Have them help you dust, vacuum, sweep, and clean BR.

I would buy a homeschooling curriculum for that age (Seton, Bob Jones and ABeka are ones that I am familiar with - they all have a website). That gives you lots to do, they learn a lot and they enjoy it; you will, too!
Get computer activities for preschoolers.
Get some large, wooden or plastic beads and string them, or penne noodles. Puzzles are great. Play games like Candyland or card games like fish. Count 100 cheerios or fruitloops.
Draw pictures or lines and circles, write the letters of the alphabet, spell his name and things in the house and label them.
Garden together, plant seeds (any kind - a cup with some grass seed grows quickly for them to see results soon, plant tomato plants - something that you can use or something that you like - flowers).
Sew together. My son sewed a pillow by himself for his new brother when he was born. It wasn't 'professional', but it was cute, and it was from his heart.
Plan a tea party together and dress up for it.

Get a bike seat and go riding together. Buy a pair of skates for both of you and go skating together out front.
Take walks, pack picnic lunches, feed the squirrels, birds, ducks. Use sidewalk chalk and bubbles.
Buy a plastic ball, bat and glove and play catch and hit (baseball). Buy a soccer ball and kick it around outside. Same with a little lacrosse stick and ball and a basketball and small hoop (or basket or bucket up on a chair).
Play jump rope and hopscotch (hopping and balancing and coordination).
Make mud pies, or flour pies, or play dough.
Sing together. Dance.
The library has lots of books with craft ideas.

Most importantly, look into his eyes and talk, just have a conversation. It will develop into a bond of love, trust and communication.
Don't forget to take some time for yourself.

Watch Super Nanny on ABC; she has great ideas.
KMJsmom

Here goes w/more idea for your little boy :D...wading pool, slip & slide, sprinkler (!), Play-Doh (you can make your own! Look online for recipe), building blocks, Lincoln logs, Matchbox type cars W/RACETRACK, new books to read, "Barney" videos (kids this age LOVE Barney!), nature walks (lots you can teach there!), or if you live in a city, CITY walks & teach him a little safety, e.g., crossing streets, "helping" you to pick up some milk, etc., hand games like Patty Cake, listen to music & sing at the top of both your lungs :D, try to hook up w/other moms w/kids (he needs to experience his peers - GREAT for teaching), toddler swing set (as your budget may allow), build a "fort" out of a table & sheet (stock it up w/favorite toys, flashlight, snacks, etc., this may be good for rainy days), simple word games like I Spy, let him clean out your canned goods cupboard (mine was the right height & this is good for you, too, he gets to empty, you get to wipe down the shelves & cans, you both can put things back), let him bang on pots and pans w/wooden spoon (use earplugs, LOLOL!), let him pretend to cook by filling pots, etc., with water at the kitchen sink (get him a stool so he can reach) a little messy but FUN, baths in the middle of the day w/bath toys, let him "help" you around the house, e.g., making the beds, dusting (give him his own dust cloth).

Hope this helps you some!

Pam H.
Westminster, MD

I also am a stay at home Mom with a 2yr old and 3yr old.

I know that it can be a challenge to occupy children at that young age. Everyday is a struggle to balance the appropriate amount of television/movies watched with play time/activity time. It is so easy to sit kids in front of a TV, but what good does that do to teaching them about life and building their character?

Here are some things I do with my two girls:
1) Hide and seek around the house. (This can be hilarious because my 3yr old always like to yell out "I'm right here!" from her hiding place.)

2) Play dough time.

3) Writing/Drawing time...We have a big white erase board in the kitchen. The girls sit at the table with paper and crayons and copy what I draw on the board.

4) Puzzles are great for developing problem solving skills.

5) Puppet making with brown paper sandwich bags, colored pipe cleaner, all kinds of things from the craft section.

6) Face masks with white paper plates. A stapler and string.

7) Reading a story and then acting it out afterwards.

8) Hide and seek with small toys. I have the girls wait in the bathroom while I hide their little colored teddy bears in very obvious locations.

Hopefully these ideas will be a help to you and your little one.

A little about me I a 40 year old SAHM with two small children ages 3 and 5. When we lived in Pittsburgh we used to do a lot of stuff without our car because so much was within walking distance. Granted we would take our stroller because it is never fun having to carry two kids home as well as all the stuff you lugged to the playground.

Here are a few ideas of stuff to do without the car:

1. Pack a picnic lunch and walk to the neighborhood playground picking up pinecones on the way to paint or decorate.

2. Make homemade playdough or silly putty or both if your in the mood.

3. There are some books at the bookstore titled "the busy preschooler", "the busy toddler", "365 tv free activities" jamb packed with ideas.

4. You could make your own sticker books using contruction paper and stapling it together to look like a book and write something on the front to identify it as such.

5. I made up cards with numbers on one side and the same number of squares or some other shape on the other and taught my kids numbers, counting and shapes as well as colors at the same time.

6. With summer around the corner, you could make water balloons and just have a water balloon battle.

7. Sidewalk Chalk or paint.

8. Bubbles.

9. Play catch or kick ball.

10. Hop-Scotch.

There is a world of information on stuff to do in and around your home or neighborhood that doesn't require the use of a car.

Also keep in mind kids at this age are like a giant sponge. They absorb information at a pretty rapid pace and everyday is a different adventure. Enjoy all the time you have with your child now because they grow up rather quickly.

L. S.

You may already do this, but you are at a great age to have him help with the laundry. My daughter had her own little basket and loved to pull everything out, sort colors, load the machine, and push the buttons and then hang-up or fold. It's not exactly a craft, but it is a splendid use of time and a good lesson - which we have kept going for 2 years as she improves her skills.

Kitchen activites are really good at that age too - like making instant pudding, cutting soft fruit like bananas, making small sandwiches. You can use cookie cutters and spreaders which aren't sharp, decorate cookies, or throw fruit and candy into pudding and call it dirt-pies. My daughter got a real kick out "cooking" and especially of "making lunch" not just for us but for daddy when he got home. At 4-years, she now makes her own lunch when she gets home from precshool and it is something we enjoy doing together.

Basically, you are entering this great phase where your son will find mundane chores fun and can spend hours occupied with them. Even giving him a wet paper towel to clean his sink or dust his shelves is fun at that age.

Have fun!

Take a walk, and talk about what you see.

Look up there! There are one, two, three, four birds sitting on the telephone wire!

Listen to that dog! What does it sound like he's saying?

That sign tells the name of our street. Our street's name is...

Let's count how many driveways have a car in them.

What color are those flowers?

etc etc

Family Fun Magazine has a great website familyfun.com

There are a lot of craft and family time ideas for different age levels and craft experience levels. Plus there are recipes to make together and printables to color, holiday crafts, etc... Lots of ideas. I refer to this website almost daily to find new things to do with my own six children. Enjoy! -K.

garden! if you don't have a yard, pots will do just fine. plant a pizza garden (tomatoes, peppers, oregano) then as your produce comes through, have him cook with you.
simple cooking projects are great fun for littles this age.
how about taking care of pets, like hermit crabs or fish?
a good loud sing-and-dance session every day is a fine thing!
sculpy is your best friend. can be expensive, though, and homemade modeling clay is probably even better for a little guy of not-yet-two.
enjoy!
:) khairete

1 / 3