What Is This Red Knot on My Leg?

Hi all,

I have a hard knot on my lower calf and I don't know what it is or what to do about it. It's just over an inch in diameter. I thought it was a bruise from moving a suitcase this weekend (don't remember bumping it but that doesn't mean anything). Last night, though, it started hurting -- I'd wince if I brushed it with my finger or even my pants moved across it. Bruises are soft and blue/purple; this is hard and red. There's no sign of a bug or spider bite.

Any ideas? I don't want a dr visit if it's a bad bruise, but how do you know if it's something that needs attention? Thanks.

thank you all for answering.

I went to urgent care last night. the dr says it's an infection of some sort but can't tell what started it. he wants to get rid of it before it gets a chance to spread to my knee so I got an antibiotic shot, an a/b rx, and naproxen for the inflammation.

thanks again for all the advice. I am glad I went in.

Hey A.,
My husband,John, had this just a few weeks ago, and the Dr. said that it was a type of phlebitis. He had an ultrasound done, and there was no clot.
John's calf took a full week to get better, and the Dr. recommended heat, elevation and Ibuprofen. The Dr. said if there was a clot, they are almost always on the back of the knee. John had hit that area of his leg previously, and he thought that it was a bruise as well.
I hope this helps! Good luck! ~~~~~~L.

The responses given here should be all you need to get you going to the Dr......TODAY ! It could be ANNNNYTHING. Safe then sorry dear. Please let us know. You will be fine. God bless.
Sincerely_______________

I would get it seen about. It does not sound like a bruise. Is there warmth to it? It could be a blood clot. When in bed with leg straight out, pull your toes towards your nose. Does this cause pain in the calf? If so, it could be a clot, also known as a DVT. Do you smoke or take birth control pills? These are risk factors for a clot. It more than likely isn't a clot because of your age, but it warrants getting it seen about. Hope it gets better!

A., I'm a big believer in natural remedies, but I also like knowing what I'm treating. I've had bloodclots in my left leg (below the calf), and I've had vasculitis in my left ankle (not at the same time). With the vasculitis, I was afraid that it was bloodclots again. Although, it didn't feel like it, "Once bitten, twice shy," I was concerned. Check with your family doctor. If it's nothing, great...If it's something, you'd want to know now. After the vasculitis, long after, I had a hard place about the size of a quarter, below my left calf, and a large harden area where the vasculitis had been. I used castor oil on both, twice a day, it worked. My doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong, but this "old-country-doctor's" remedy was the charm. You didn't say whether the area is warm to the touch which indicates inflammation. Have you tried hot and cold compresses? A poltice of activated charcoal, which you can get in powdered form, draws toxins out. Sorry to be so wordy...I'm praying for you.

you might want to get a hold of your doctor he/she should be able to tell if it a spider bite or a bite from another insect but it could be something else too it depends on how long its been there but either way I would call your doctor good luck

Hey A.,
I hope this helps! Good luck! ~~~~~~L.

Don't want to scare you, but I'm thinking I've heard that that is what a blood clot feels like, which can be very dangerous. You may want to get it checked just in case.

I agree that you should have it checked. But, it sounds more like something called 'Erythema Nodosum'. Erythema nodosum (also called EN) means 'red nodule'. Check out this link - http://www.medicinenet.com/erythema_nodosum/article.htm.

I've had these before and they resolved on their own. I wish you the best.

URGENT:

Do not massage it, don't touch it, and see a doctor immediately. It sounds like a blood clot. If you see that it has moved upwards, go to the ER.

If it is a blood clot, it's life-threatening. If a blood clot moves into one of your lungs, you will die.

I don't know how fast it might move, or if it's lodged where it is, but if it were me, I'd go straight to the ER, just in case. YOu don't know if it will travel overnight as you're sleeping.

1 / 3