What Is the Problem?

Hi Moms -

My 3 yr old son has been breaking out in hives for the last 2-3 days. He is itching like crazy! I started to think that it was because I changed my fabric softener sheets. The box said that they were comparable to Bounce (which is what I used to buy). Now, he started with the runs. There was a little yest. but I didn't think much of it. This morning, it is full blown runs. Are these symptoms possibly connected? What is the problem? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
Rye

There are so many food/chemical/other allergies that it's hard to say. I break out in hives from a nut allergy I have. I also know a child who breaks out in hives and has stomache issues when he has nuts. Nut allergies can become severe, so I would rule this out first.

get him to the Dr, he could have 5th disease or even strep throat -- both cause rashes that can resemble hives!

Your child should be seen by a Doctor. A child (or anyone for that matter) can develop allergies at any time. Symptoms may or may not be connected. Does your child have a fever, runny or stuffed up nose? Keep in mind, we are now entering Ragweed season and this could also be a concern if you are near those forest preserves. Corn and other crops are also maturing in the surrounding fields.

Have you given your child Benadryl and have the hives responded to the medication? He should be taking something and you should see some kind of positive response to the medication. Hives can just be a precursor to a more serious allergic reaction, such as anaphylaxic so he should be treated.

If you are trying to narrow down the culprit and you think it could be the fabric softener, I would definitely re-wash any clothes & bedding that he could come in contact with.

Also, is he eating more fruit? berries, watermelon, etc.. ? Upon first ingesting these, he may have been fine, but he could have developed an allergic reaction so, please, when you do bring your child to the Doctor, possibly try to think of all he could have eaten over the last few days (newly introduced as well as old favorites) just to see if there is any pattern.

If you can't get your child to the Doctor, at least, head over to your trusted Pharmacist who can look at your child and give you their professional and free opinion. My Pharmacist has been my lifesaver, at times. It's good to get to know them.

Hi R.,

I know this is a late response, but I just thought I would add that I started using vinegar in the washer instead of fabric softener or dryer sheets and it works great! And no chemicals on our clothes. I just pour the same amount of white vinegar in the washing machine's little receptacle thingy (what's that called anyway?? lol!) and the clothes come out nice and soft. The towels are more absorbant too because they don't have the fabric softener "film" on them. The vinegar smell is only there while the clothes are wet. After they are dry they just smell like nothing--which is really what clean is! I LOVE this trick! It's cheaper and no chemicals. The only thing is that you can't use bleach in the washer because vinegar and bleach have a chemical reaction together, but I don't use bleach anyway so it's no biggie for me. Just thought I'd share this, since your child may be allergic to the harsh dryer sheet chemicals. Good luck!!! :-)

Sounds like allergies - and if he has diarrhea than he is allergic to a food. With hives I would take it very seriously. Try to get in to see a pediatric allergist ASAP. Usually a reputable office will see a child in a day or so that is having an allergic reaction. (I have gone to Associated Allergists of Highland Park - they were very good - and I now go to Dr. Ewa Schafer in Glenview/Skokie - she is excellent). Also - definitely give him children's Benadryl in the meantime - contact your doctor's office for dosage (it depends on weight). Good luck and I hope you find out exactly what is causing it.

It could be chicken pox. My son had them when he was about that age and he had a low-grade fever, the red hives and it also gave him diarrhea. It could be an allergic reaction, but rule out chicken pox too!

Yes they probably are connected. First time I had a bad reaction to peanuts I had hives then the runs. Did you give him some benadryl for the hives? I would think about what he ate that day. Usually the diarrhea would be from something he ingested. I would ask the Dr. though, no one else can give you the correct answer really.

1 / 3