What Is the Best Way to Unscrew the Metal Lid off a Glass Jar That Won't Budge

What is the best way to unscrew the metal lid off a glass jar that won't budge no matter how hard I try to loosen it off?

Use the handle of a regular butter knife and dent the metal around the edge of the lid in a few places. This breaks the seal and then you can easily twist the lid off.

Take the heavy end of a butter knife and tap around the edges. Then hold the jar sideways and run hot water across the lid metal only.

Sometimes just the knife will be enough. Sometimes just the water. Sometimes both... but I also use one of those rubber disks to get a good grip sometimes too.

The absolute WORST thing to try to open is a jelly jar lid (like Goober, that has a wide lip on the lid) that someone has slopped the sticky stuff around the rim before closing it back tightly.

Running the lid under hot water gets the metal to expand slightly. Use a rubber or silicon hot pad to get a good grip on the metal and twist. My husband has large strong hands. He'll get it off if all else fails.

I turn it over completely upside down and tap it on the counter a few times, but not too hard. Then it comes right off.

i always tap it with a butter knife around the rim, or turn it upside down to hit it on the bottom, forcing air upwards then use a rubbery glove to open it

Stick the end of a butter knife under the rim and pry up until you break the seal. You'll hear a little pop.

bang the edge of the lid on the counter

run it under hot water

I put a thick rubber band on the lid. It gives your hand some traction as you twist.

1 / 3