What is the best gift ideas for a child's baptism?

We are going to a Baptism for a 2 month old this Sunday. My question is do you buy a gift for this and if so what do you buy?

Summary

Most people do not expect anything, but it's a nice gesture to give something such as a little stuffed animal, a cross to hang in my daughters room, outfits, money, savings bonds and etc. You could go to a religious store and pick something little up there.

When my son was baptized we rec'd a cross pin and necklace, a cross for his wall as well as money. I thought all of that was appropriate.
Jenn.......

a card with money, or a savings bond are usually safe bets. That's what my son got for his baptism.

Savings bonds are always a good baptism gift. I've also given religious things like a cross for baby's room or religious jewelry (in my experience, though, Godparents often give the jewelry). You can never go wrong with a classic baby blanket, book, beautiful sweater, etc. Enjoy!

When I had my children baptized people brought gifts. Think of this as a welcoming ceremony for the child. You can go to babies r us and they have a section on religious gift, very small section but I have seem things there or go to Berean and they can help you or you could just by the baby some clothes, books or toys. Really it depends on how close you are to the family. If you are more like a sister to the family then go for the more religious route. If you are good friends or just know the family then go for the clothes or books. You could also buy this book, my daughter loves this book and it is religious, "Who is coming to our House?" by Joseph Slate and Ashley Wolfe. Both my kids have enjoyed the book.

I hope this gives you some good ideas.

Jenn.......

We just had our daughter's baptism and most everyone gave her something, whether it was $25.00+, a book (like 'The Giving Tree'), bonds, children's bible or rosary beads...anything.

Yes, we do give gifts for this occasion. My family and friends usually give money or a savings bond or some kind of religious gift but mostly money.

Hi T.,

Yes I think you should buy a gift. Gifts were recieved at my son's baptism and we also have brought gifts to other baptisms. Things to Remember is a great store for gift ideas for events like these.

My son recieved everything from bibles and baptismal crosses to clothes and toys and rattles. For the catholic religion it's another time to celebrate life, a new beginning, a welcoming to the community. Any small item to help celebrate the joy of this new member to the world will be welcomed.

1 / 3