What Is the Average Weight/height of a Three Year Old?

Updated on December 06, 2009
R.K. asks from New Boston, NH

I just returned from my son's three month doctor visit. I am wondering what the average height/weight of a three year old is? My son is 3 feet 1 inch and weighs 31 lbs.

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

R.H.

answers from Boston on

Hi R.,

My son turned 3 in March. He weighed 33 and a half pounds and was 36 in tall! So I think it is normal! From what my doctor told me it was normal. My son is still on the short side but his dad is 5'9" and I am 5'3". So I think that it is normal. If your doc isn't worried then I wouldn't be worried either. Hope I was a little helpful!

Becca

K.D.

answers from Providence on

That sounds about right, my son is 37 1/2" & 34 lbs at 3.

K.N.

answers from Boston on

hi R.,
i believe that is an average weight of a 3 yr old. if there were any concerns your doctor would of expressed them to you wether they thought he was to small or to big. i work in pediatrics so i think at around age 3 i weigh kids to that weight. did you ask about where his percentiles were for ht and weight. at out office we do a bmi which is body mass index and we don't like to see it above 85% which puts a child at risk for obesity. i wouldn't be to concerned with it. how does he eat. is he active? those are the 2 important factors you need to be looking for. i hope this helps.

S.Z.

answers from Providence on

All kids are different. Don't worry about a thing. It sounds like he is right on track. My son also just got his three year check up and is 3 feet 2 1/2 inches and 34 pounds. Doctor says he is perfect. My older son was under 3 feet at 3 years old it is all about the individual child and nothing to be concerned about.

D.B.

answers from Boston on

Your probably fine, my daughter is 4 and she is 39 inches tall and 39 pounds...she was about the same last year too...I wouldn't worry about it :)

C.Q.

answers from New York on

my daugther went for her well visit 2 weeks bfore her 3rd birthday. she measured 36 inches and 29 lb. i thought that was underweight until i saw this board. she has always been on the small side.

C.D.

answers from Providence on

Hi R., your son is at a healthy weight for his height. His BMI is 16 so he plots at about 48% on the charts.

V.R.

answers from Boston on

My daughter was 39 inches tall and 37 pounds at her 3 year check up. She is in the 95 percentile for weight and height. So, that sounds right. Good luck in August!

Next question: This Can't Be Right...