What Is the Age for Kids to Start Preschool or Kindergarden?

My daughter is 3 years old and she was borned on october,13,2003.I know a lot of people that told me that my daughter is going to miss s a whole year in school because of her bithday and she will start school when she will be 6 years old (almost 7 years old). Does anybody know when I can register my daugther to kindergarden? or Where can I get more information about it? I know that a lot of parents are in the same situiation. Thank you.

I want to thank to everyone for their advisments,specially to them who let me think about that going older to school most of the time is better for kids because they are more mature, I had never thought about it but you are so right, even for myself if I were go to school a little bit older I would learn and understand things a little bit better than I did, but won't forgett that everybody is different. Any way I've seen that my daughter is more mature than other kids of her same age, so I found an early education program at the Clark County Recreation Depatment and she is going to attend Tuesday thru Friday 9 to 12 and she is going to practice the ABC's, numbers, colors, etc, but the most important is that she is going to be with other kids and hopefully she is going to learn to respect and being with others.And I think that is important too, thank you again.

I have heard you have to be 5 by Oct 1. I am in the same boat, my child was born 10/27/03, and to top it off she is already extremely smart and it will be a shame if she has to miss a year of school. Anyway...I need help with this question as well, thaknks, C.

she will be 5 almost 6 to start school. I am a december birthday that is how it is. THe cut off date for starting school in Las Vegas is Sept 20. It really isn't bad being older when you go to school even if you are ready!!

My son had to start this year and he is 5 1/2. His birthday was after the dead line of Dec 5th so he had to wait a bit longer to attend school. I feel he would have been ready at 4 because he seems kind of bored with some of the concepts and is already reading better than the other kids.

E.
www.my2.tupperware.com/embrownie

HI A.,

I have read through the other responses and they are correct. You will have to wait another year. I have twin girls born 11/24. I have been looking for other options for the last six months. Other parents in the same boat say it was good for their children; they were more mature and got more out of kindergarden. But check with the school on your area, some schools have a program for 4/5 years olds that miss the 9/30 cut off.

Hi A.:

Just go to the districts website www.ccsd.net to find out all of the information you need to enroll your daughter.

The regulations do state that your child needs to be 5 years of age by September 30th in order to enroll, so she most likely will have to wait until she's 6 to start Kindergarten.

i believe you can start your daughter in preschool now... and i know for a fact at least where i live the cut off date for kindergarden is Dec 3. She can start when she is 4 as long as she turns five before Dec 3rd. My daughter was born Nov 18th so she will barely make the cut off date. I would check with your school district to find out when the cut off date for your area is.
thanks

hey A.,
The rules and well a lot of things are different here in cali. My daughter is 3 and ready to be in school, not a day care. I foung a school that has a 3 step program, kinda changed things around a bit. She is in a class with kids her age who will start Kindergarden at the same time as her. What they now call it is, preschool (3-4) Pre-K (4-5) then Kindergarden at 5 (or whatever age it is when your set to start). You might want to look into something like that...

First of all, check with the school district she will be be attending. They could let her enroll when she is 5 (almost 6). The cut off dates tend to be at the end of September so she might have to wait a year but check first. Also, the only difference it would make for her is she will be a little further developmentally and things might be a little easier for her. She will be 18 instead of 17 when she graduates. My birthday is 10-3 and that was my situation. It never bothered me and I never felt held back. Check with the school district. Also, she will be 4 in October sos get her in preschool A.S.A.P. Good Luck. Check with the school district though, or call the school she would be attending.

I am in the same boat with my son. He has a December birthday, so he'll be almost 6 when he starts. My older son was the other side of it. He had just turned 5 in August and started Kindergarten that month. It's tough because you have kids who just turned five in school with kids who are almost six. It's a big age difference when they are at that stage.

Anyway, I have been told that if you enter them in a private kindergarten the year they turn five, they can start public school as first graders the next year. I don't know if this is true or not. I haven't researched it yet. Does anyone know if this is true?

1 / 3