What Is the Age and Weight Limit on Booster Seats in a Car?

My son is 3, and weighs 45 lbs. Because we just downsized vehicles, it left us with less space in the back seat, and I am wondering if he is ready for a booster seat instead of the full sized car seat. If not, no biggie, just a thought.

Please keep him in a 5 point harness as long as possible.

www.kyledavidmiller.org has great information and also helps families who cannot afford to replace their car seats.

It is not 4 or 40 lbs it is 4 AND 40 lbs. The longer you can keep him in a 5 pt harness the better. It is just safer. My poor daughter is going to be in high school before she is 40 lbs-haha!!

In CO your child must be at least 4 years AND 40lbs MIN.
Below is copied from BBC- just so more info

Why you should consider keeping your child harnessed past age 4 and 40 pounds in a car seat with a higher weight harness.

A younger child doesn’t have the mental maturity to understand that s/he needs to stay still in a booster. The shoulder belt must always stay on the shoulder to keep the child from being thrown forward in a crash. A parent who prematurely moves a child into a booster is often put in the position of constantly reminding (nagging) her child to stay in position to stay safe. The child will eventually tune out the parent and the parent will become frustrated. The child's safety is placed in the hands of the child. A car seat with a properly tightened 5-point harness allows a child to be a child: no nagging to stay in position, no worrying that the child doesn't have the seat belt on or is leaning over to pick up a toy.

5-point harnesses spread crash forces over a larger area and there are 5 points of protection on the child vs. 3 points with a lap/shoulder belt (1 shoulder and 2 hips). A properly adjusted harness is more likely to keep the child contained in the seat and not ejected, especially in a side impact or rollover. Sleeping is easier in a 5-point harness than in a booster.

Compare these 2 videos and watch how the dummy moves in each:

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/v... (This is a harnessed seat similar to what is sold in the US.)

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/v... (This is a booster similar to what is sold in the US.)

There are higher weight harness seats in all price ranges and some convert to boosters once kids reach the weight limit of the harness.

Videos dedicated to children who might have lived had they been harnessed (!Warning!!These are tear jerkers!):

Kyle David Miller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Isabelle Broadhead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

Toni Perry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59s3PjcntQ

My pediatrician just told me 4 years or 40 lbs (because we joked my son wouldn't be 40 lbs until high school so good thing he can "graduate" at 4 yrs!- he's 2 and has been between 20-23 pounds for a YEAR!)!

I believe the weight limit on most booster seats is 30 pounds and on some its 35, maybe 40. It usually states right on the box what the weight, height, age requirements are. Be sure to get one with a back that has a slot for the seat belt so you can get the seat belt in the right position. I know when we moved our oldest up I was kind of worried, but then he was involved in an accident and the only physical injury he had was a bit of a bruise on his shoulder where the seat belt kept him in place so I know they work.

Hi M. - I have a large 3 yr old as well. We have him in a backed booster right now because he is 41 inches tall and 44 pounds. We chose to move to a booster because he was tall enough and would keep the seat belt in place.

Part of your decision should include not only weight but also height. You might consider one of those little covers that snaps over the seatbelt to help keep it in good position.

We had a pickup w/an extended cab (no back doors) & a busted seat. So I wouldn't have to turn the baby's seat upside down to get him in & around the other full carseat, I put my 2.5 year old in a booster. By the time we got the minivan w/more space & more flying room in case of an accident he was 3 & big enough to be in his booster according to the box. They make boosters w/a 3 or 5 pt harness seat that you can pull straps out of when they're older, I use those til my boys are big enough-in my mind-to work the real seatbelt.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_inform...

This will give you answers.

Although your son meets the weight requirement for a booster, I think he may be too short. Remember, boosters are to put children in a position where the seat belts fit them as they fit adults. I don't think a 3 year old will be near that mark.

Just hang in there for another year, if you were in an accident, a 5 pt. harness car seat provides far better protection for your little one.

1 / 3