What Is Proper to Wear to a Wedding These Days?

It's been quite some time since I've been to a wedding and I'm not sure what to wear. I'm not a skirt/dress kind of person so would hate to have to wear one, but I don't want to be the only person in pants. Is it OK to wear a pants suit to a wedding? And, my nicest pantsuit is black - is that an acceptable color to wear to a wedding? I know guys can wear black suits so I'd think I could wear that color too, but I'm not sure.

These days people wear about anything. But wearing a black pantsuit is o.k. You could if you want add a little color with a flower or pin. Broaches are back in. I have been to weddings were many female guests wear black.

black is what i see most at weddings
and a great pant suit would be totally okay!

Three years ago I wore a pair of black slacks with lavender flowered gauzy 'butterfly' sleeves to my nephew's wedding. I'm seriously thinking of wearing a black skirt to a niece's wedding this summer. B.

Your suit sounds perfect. You can dress it seasonally and wedding-appropriate (day vs. night reception) with accessories and shoes.

How about you wear the pant suit w/ a satiny camisole/shell type blouse underneath. There are so many dressy sleeveless options nowadays. You can wear a long string of beads tied in a knot right at breast level which will dress n soften it up at the same time. Then you can remove the suit jacket for during the reception.

I'd wear the pant suit with a soft colored blouse/scarf around my neck - something along those lines - you'll make it look "less suity" that way and still get to wear what you already have and love.

If it were my wedding, I wouldn't care what you showed up in as long as it wasn't dirty jeans and a t-shirt!

What time of day is the wedding? Where is the wedding being held? What time is the reception and what is the style of the reception? Those are all things I would consider before making my final decision.

I think if you are most comfortable in a pant suit then it is the best thing for you to wear. Even if it is black. I don't think it is inappropriate in the least.

D., I have been to 4 wedding in the past 2 years. I too, don't wear dresses often. I wore a black pant suit and dressed it up a bit with a nicer blouse and dressier shoes. Really you will see anything these days. But I didn't feel out of place at all, many people are wearing that. I am also a wedding coordinator at a large church and see many weddings where people just wear whatever you would see them wear to church, pants or skirts or nice dresses, it doesn't matter...no one looks out of place. Hope that helps!

1 / 3