What Is Expected Academically from a 2.5 Year Old Child?

My son is 2.5 y/o he just started to make 3 word sentences, not because he is my son, but he is bright, he was able to recognize all leters since he was 2, he counts and recognize number sto 10.

my questions is, what should a 2.5 year old child know at this age? are there any websites or books that would give me ideas on what to teach him at this age. he loves to learn and gets excited when it comes to pens and paper, and i would like to seize this opportunity and teach him...

any input would be highly appreciated

I can never thank you enough, all replies are great advices. After reading your replies, i felt bad for my son, since i didn't give more details to what he knows.
he knows most colors (red, blue, yellow, orange, brown, black) he knows 3 shapes (square, circle, triangle) he knows most of the animals name and their sounds, he even differenciate between different birds (flamingo, pinguins, owl). I'm arabic so I try to teach him the word in both english and arabic, he also counts to 10 in arabic. and all the way in the car he names things on the street... honestly baby einstein dvd's helped a lot, you are absolutely right, i shouldn';t be worried about following a specific way to teach him at this stage, i should just try teaching him whenever I can. i am going to look into the websites you guys recommended, and i need to learn more about the monitissouri program.. again, I have lived the first 20 years of my life in Jordan, and anything that pertains to children is new to me here in the states.. thanks again for your input

Read, read, read. :) And expose him to lots of different topics. When I was gorwing up my parents made sure my brother and I got exposure to a little bit of everything. We were always at museums and always exlporing or learning something. Not in a dry textbook way but always in a fun "lets try something new" way. We did science experiments at home, read folk tales from other cultures, and when we did watch TV it was PBS and my parents watched Nature and Nova. And that joy of learning and openness has carried over into our academic and then adult life.

At 2.5 kids are really at all different levels "academically." My son also learned his letters and numbers young (he could point to all his letters by name before he even said "mama.") But was slow to actually start speaking (only 10 words at 2).
My point is its hard to measure against what is "normal" when normal is all over the place. I think the important thing is just to keep going with them, keep adding new things, work on not just the basics of reading and math but motor skills, social skills, reasoning, etc.
I've read a lot of books about child (especially early ) child development and learning.
But I highly, highly recommend reading Einstein Never Used Flashcards.
http://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Never-Used-Flashcards-Lear...
This books is very well written and explains so much about how preschoolers learn and how to teach them. It's very up-to-date and it really is my basis on how I'm approaching my kids early education.
Another great book is The Everything Toddler Activities Book: Games And Projects That Entertain And Educate
http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Toddler-Activities-Book-...
It has many great ideas for projects/games and learning and will help you keep things fresh and exciting.
Isn't this age grand?!

I found this website, which outlines typical curriculums for each level of study. http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum

Hope it's what you're looking for!
H.

Here is a FANTASTIC resource from PBS Parents that shows "widely-held expectations" for the development of children from ages 1-8:
http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopment/

In the Child Development Tracker, select an age and it will take you to a page with an overview of developmental milestones for that age. Then, look in the left hand column, and it will break down in great detail how kids your child's age typically develop in different subject areas like math, language, literacy, science, etc.

It was developed by child development experts who have done a lot of research. I found it very helpful! Hope you do too.

Einstien, probably misspelled, did not talk till he was three and he was a math genius. Do not worry about the specific times that your child should do something unless he shows many signs of being behind. He is likely just going at his own pace and being the wonderful and unique little man that he is. Enjoy his progress which will be faster in some things and slower in others than the "norm." We are not designed to be clones, but individuals.

I would ask your pediatrician. Every time I take my children to the doctor, she prints out a detailed list of exactly what is expected from my children's specific ages. The pediatrician might also be able to tell you if his speech is up to level; it seems like he should be making longer sentences by now-my daughter did 7 word sentences a little before she turned 2, but every child is different, and the doctor should know.

Good progress with numbers and letters; maybe try shapes and colors next. I would try teaching some simple songs like twinkle twinkle, and tell him the name of everything you see and he should be able to repeat it (my daughter and I even sit down with newspaper flyers and name pictures in the grocery ads.) My daughter (2 and 2 months) is also very into naming family members (even extended family). You can teach him behavioral things too like cleaning up toys and helping around the house, even helping with the baby.

That's wonderful that he's off to a great start and you're wanting to encourage that behavior. I talk to my kids. All the time. I tell them everything (almost). Appropriate things, of course. If you are doing something in the kitchen, tell him what you're using, what the goal is, how to measure things. Narrate his little life around him.
For fine motor skills, get a set of locks that open with keys; take the keys and put them on a little ring and let him figure out how to open each one.
The stacking/nesting toys are great for his age. Colors and shapes are everywhere.
Look up montessouri (I think that's how you spell it) methods of teaching and you will get loads of great ideas.
A lady below gave advice on getting them out and making everyday adventures into learning experiences. Truth is, learning is all around us all the time. We just have to know when to take the opportunity. He will learn more and easier when he is well rested and not hungry.
Don't make every single thing he does about learning though. It will feel too pushy and he'll rebel. Make time to be creative and just play. Even when they're just playing, they're learning something.

All children are different so I will tell you what my child did at 2.5, she is three now. She learned her alphabet at 18 months, she could count to 20 by age 2, she talks in complete sentences and conversates with adults. She knows how to write letters (A,F,E,N,L almost all of the ones with straight lines) and she also can "read" sight words or almost any word she has memorized. I think teaching your child at home is the best way to teach them, make learning a part of everything. My daughter loves to get change to put in her piggy bank and I made it a learning opportunity, she now knows her different types of coins. Refridgerator magnets is how she learned her alphabet, and counting can be done almost anytime anywhere. The trick with my daughter is to make it fun, they don't have the patience to sit down and learn something the way school aged children do, it has to be fun and engaging! She is my first and only child but what I am doing seems to be working.

1 / 3