What Is a Good Christening Gift?

I am invited to a very good friend's son's christening. I won't be able to attend but would like to send a gift. I do not know what is an appropriate gift to give. I use to go to church growing up but haven't gone as an adult. Most gifts I've found have a religious theme to them (I know christening is a religious event). Would a check be to impersonal? I would rather send something they can have and cherish. I'm willing to spend up to $100 or so on the gift. Any suggestions will be welcomed!

Why not a gold cross or charm of john the baptist? my daughter recieved both as christening gifts and wears them all the time.

You can get a Savings Bond, or you can go online and order a nice silver (or silverplated) cup with the baby's name engraved on it and it can be billed to you and shipped to them. Everyone likes something classy like that!

Two of my favorite things to give as christening gifts are a Silver Piggy bank or a Snowglobe. I know the snowglobe sounds a bit odd, but I had someone give one to me for my son's christening - a Noah's Ark snowglobe - and he's always loved it (and so have I!).
:-) P.

My son had his christening last year & he got some $$, some toys & about 6 crosses( I have no idea what to do with all of these crosses). I think grandparents & godparents can get the religious stuff. I am always a fan of $$, a cd or a bond. If you want something more personal, a nice engraved picture frame( I got nice picture frames for the godparents that are also a photo album at Things remembered). Hope this helps.

:-) P.

Hi A. - If you can't think of something appropriate for everyone (your sensibilities included), how about a savings bond?? That's always a great gift and not really "cash"...

I have found that a savings bond is always appreciated. Sure it would be nice to give something they can 'keep and cherish' but you know what? How many silver piggy banks and engraved cups does a child really need? I hate to say it but they eventually become expensive dust collectors. Go with the bond. Your friend's child is a baby. By the time he/she is ready for college the bond will be worth twice what you paid for it. Maybe it will go toward that first car or a down payment on a house or a wedding. Your name will be on the bond. When it's cashed in your friend's child will know that you helped finance that important event in his/her life.

I alsways give savings bonds. They are great gifts for babies. Also, checks or cash is good too, so the parents can start/deepen a savings account.

my son received cash and savings bonds for his christening.its not impersonal she could put ita way for college fund.

Hi, A.. I think that you should get a small gift that the baby can have as a keepsake, and then maybe a check for the parents to start a bank account for him. When both our children were christened, we appreciated having the money to start saving for our child's future. If you don't think that they would start a bank account, you could always get a savings bond.

Someone bought our daughter a nice cross to hang on the wall. American Greetings has a few different keepsakes for religious occasions, too. Try to check them out.

I like to give a savings bond. Traditional, non-religious, and something the parents can appreciate now, and the child will...eventually.

1 / 3