What Hours Do You Work?

I work in a very demanding job and work from 8-4:30 Mon-Fri. I on a frequent occasion work till 10:00 throughout the week and even get called out on the weekend. I usually average 60-65 hours a week and am exhausted. In betwen my kids, my husbands kids and our kids I feel that I am missing out on everything. I want to be a Mommy with a career, but also a Mommy. Also, this has been very difficult on the kids as I was a SAHM until about 4-5 months ago.

How many hours do you Mama's work?

What types of jobs do you mama's do where you can work from home? I would love to work from home at least some of my hours, but it might be stretching it with my job.

I work 630-300 Monday-Friday and never am required to work nights or weekends. I am a system analyst. Occasionally I can work from home and do so maybe 3x a year.

I work from 8am-4pm (sometimes later) I gave up my lunch break so I can leave by 4pm and pick up my daughter by 5pm (I work about 45 min from home). I drop off my daughter at school at 7:30am then head to work and leave at 4pm pick her up by 5pm most days.

40+
5:00 am - 3:00 pm, more when necessary; but I take a break at 7 to get my kiddos up and to school (I work from home)

About 16, used to be 40-45.

When I worked in healthcare I worked 14 hours on monday, and 6 hours in the evenings tue/wed/thurs.

Currently I write freelance... so I write in my "spare" time. It works best when kiddo is elsewhere for a couple days so I can write straight through. I won't be writing seriously for publication again (1 or 2 novels a year, contracts, etc.) until kiddo is mostly grown. AKA a teenager and in college (we homeschool... most 14/15yos who homeschool in our area are in community college).

Next year I'm looking at picking up part time work on the mountain we ride at.. minimum wage... but it would mean free passes and lessons. I'll also be back in school fulltime next year. That's easy, I've been in school for 6 years out of kiddo's 8. It only means about 10 hours of childcare a week. I'll stop writing again next year I'm fairly sure... but I'm really just playing around with the writing thing until I have more time anyway. ((The way I write for pub is straight through.)) I'll just be taking winter quarter as my "summer" / the 1 quarter a year that college students can miss and not have it affect their academic standing.

at my busiest when the boys were little i worked about 40-50 hours a week and it was very, very hard. fortunately i've usually been able to cut that back some. 60-65 is really stressful. can you make some changes so that you can keep the career you love without driving yourself to this extent?
khairete

You are definitely overworking yourself. Can you find another less strenuous job. I work 40hrs and in my opinion, that's already too many!

Before kids: 40-60 hours.

After kids: Part-time, mornings only. Self-employed, so I can set my own hours. ETA: I'm a freelance public relations writer.

I negotiated 30 hours in the office, 10 hours out so I could leave at 3 to pick kids up from school. I'm in heating and cooling sales...LOVE my job, partly because I love interacting with families and partly because it allows me to interact with MY family. It sounds like you are definitely looking for more of a balance. Would your work be willing to let you work some hours from home?

TOO many! I have a lot of decisions to make soon. In these rough economic times, I was blessed last year to not only get a full-time job like I had been looking for only 2 miles from my house, but at the same time, a work-from-home job I had contracted to do part-time in fall of 2009 finally came to fruition. The project I had been hired for got canned, but the day I got my FT position, I came home to tons of project requests. I decided it would be foolhardy to look a gift horse in the mouth, but after a year of working almost 2 full-time jobs with two small children -I'm DONE. It's been great to save extra and get some things for the house and whatnot, but I'm exhausted and just finished. I would like to only do the work-from-home because it would give me a lot more time with my children and my house, but that would cut our income by thousands a month, sooooo -it's a hard call. I work all day, pick up one or both kids between 5 and 6 if I don't go work out, get home and spend time with them until they go to bed by 8-8:30. Then I do the from-home job until between 12 and 2am. See if you can find a different job that will only make demands of you (usually) at work. This may not put you on a fast-track career-wise, but you'll probably be happier right now.

I am a single mom so I work 24-7...
I have a full time job at an area university (50+ hours a week,) and a part time job (30+ a week) that I can do from home if I choose (data base-grant related clerical items.) Luckily me that both jobs are in the same building-just different bosses. 6:00 am - 8:00 am, then 6:30 pm - 12:00 am (plus weekends) I work my part time job. From 8:00 am - 6:00 pm I work my full time job. I will be working more hours in the summer as a workshop coordinator. Crazy, but you have to do what you have to do to pay the bills (and momma needs a new roof installed this spring…)

1 / 3