What Goes in Chicken Noodle Soup?

Do you add your noodles to the broth or have the on the side?

This one's for you teresa=)

Neither!!!

The only chicken noodle soup I eat comes in a red and white can.

The chicken soups I make is chicken'n'dumplings, matzah, pot pie, etc.

Yeah, Theresa!!! I never knew anyone else who seasoned & roasted bones ! :) I'll also pan sear with bacon grease /onions/etc. J. depends on what's on hand.

Dang, I'm wondering about chicken soup with rice. Is it very different? Can I use this recipe and J. substitute rice? Or do I have to change more than that?

Well I make a swimming pool full of chicken stock about once a month and freeze it.

The two most popular chicken soups here with the kids are Chicken Noodle, which is J. cut up leftover chicken, carrots, and yes I leave the noodles cooked and separate because they get mushy, yuck.

But they're also crazy about regular old Jewish Grandma Style chicken soup with potatoes, carrots, onions, green and wax beans, corn, and chicken.

They would eat either every meal every day. I suspect the homemade stock makes it so good.

Since I'm a SAHM with OLDER kids, I have WAAAY more time then the average mom, so please don't feel like there's something wrong with you if you don't make your own chicken stock.

I buy whole chickens exclusively, when they're on sale for like $.69 a pound. I cut them up and de-bone them as needed and freeze everything. When I accumulate enough bones (which I put in the freezer) I roast them til they're brown and use them for the stock, along with all the aging vegetables in the crisper. I like it because it's like using things TWICE, and making something out of nothing, even though I am not an especially frugal cook.

I often give the kid (s) soup for breakfast. There is generally a baggy in the fridge with either noodle or rice, and a bucket of some soup, add one or the other to the soup....pop it in the microwave. Yeah, we eat a lot of soup.

Of course, I'm not above giving them a can of Beefaroni for breakfast, or a handful of pretzels either.

So yeah, always noodle/rice on the side, unless you're gonna eat it all in one sitting, and what are the chances of that?

:)

However the can has it, why mess with perfection or a vague likeness.

I cook my noodles seperately but add them to the soup before serving =)

Neither!!!

I boil a whole chicken on low for about 5-6 hours, turning it every two hours. While it is boiling in the water, i add some spices. Seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder. After the chicken is done I have to let it cool down, so after about two hours of cooling (which it is still very hot inside) I take out the whole chicken and start deboning it. I also remove the skin. I sautee chopped white onion, celery and carrots. I then add my sautee'd veggies to the chicken stock that the chicken was cooked in, by this time i have to add a little more water to the chicken stock and remove some of the fat floating on top. I will add the chicken i deboned and cook for about 30 min on medium. I think make my own noodles. I cup of flour, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water, maybe sprinkle some salt in that mixture. Knead the dough, roll it out and cut strips to look like noodles. Add them to the chicken soup and let it cook another 45 min to make sure the noodles are fully cooked. This is an all day process for M. as i do not like to rush when making chicken noodle soup. So good! Good luck!

I do whatever veggies I have on hand - usually carrots, onion, and celery but I'll throw in peppers, zucchini, asparagus etc. if they're on their way to rotting in the fridge.

I don't put any starch in my chicken soup, J. chicken and veggies. OK, maybe matzoh balls from time to time.

I do my noodles with the broth (I use the EXTRA THIN noodles, they don't go limp).

celery
onion
carrot
chicken
salt
pepper

1 / 3