What Gift Did You Give Your Toddler When New Baby Arrived?

Just looking for some ideas on what gift to give my little girl when her new sibling arrives. She is going to be almost 2 years when baby is due. She has a nice baby doll already. What did you all give? thanks

My son was 2.7 when his little brother arrived. He had already helped me pick out a "Big Brother" shirt for him to wear when he came to see the baby for the first time. He is an absolute nut for sweets, so we had a birthday cake for his new brother and sang "Happy Birthday" when my oldest came to visit in the hospital. He loved that he got cake!

We also had a few John Deere books (he was deeply into tractors at the time) that we gave him as a present from his new brother.

First of all, congrats! My daughter was also almost two when her baby sister arrived too. She loves us reading to her so I bought her a couple books and wrapped them all separately that way ever time she came up to the hospital she had something to open from her new baby sister. AND whoever wasn't holding, changing, rocking, etc the baby was able to spend some quality time with her and read her new books. If she's not into reading I would suggest a coloring book and crayons or something else that you can "do" with her....the quality time will mean more to her than a gift alone. Good luck.

When he came to the hospital, we told the older son "the baby has a gift for you!" We found a phone that allows you to record your voice, and before we wrapped it, recorded the "baby" saying "hi, I love you" to his brother! Our older son was 18 months when the baby was born, and he loved getting a gift from his brother.

Our son was two (two months shy of turning three) when his sister was born. His aunt packed a cardboard suitcase for the waiting room for him - cars, crayons, coloring books, etc. That helped with the boredom while waiting. We bought him a digital camera, one of the toddler kinds. We told him it was his job to get extra pictures of his baby sister. We were hoping he would be distracted when everyone oohhed and ahhed over the baby...it worked like a charm. He took pictures of everything except the baby - tiles, trash cans, my i.v., but that's ok. :)

I suggest a toddler digital camera that way she can take her own pictures of the new baby (or in most cases the waiting room the wall the floor pretty much everythign but the baby).

A camera is a great idea! Lots of people will be snapping away at pics of the new baby, so that is a fun thing! Also, you might think about instead of getting her a gift, helping her pick out something for her new baby brother or sister. You could tell her it has to be something really special, etc. and let her pick out a stuffed animal or blanket or something. It worked nicely with my daughter, she was two exactly one week before her brother was born. The only problem was that she was really upset because he wouldn't hold it when she tried to give it to him! Ha! LOL!

I live on Cape Cod and there is something called a Cape Cod bracelet (also known as a Brewster Ladies Bracelet). I know many friends who have given them to daughter's who are becoming big sisters, myself included. They are lovely and can be handed down through generations.

Here is a link to what they look like: http://www.cranberryjewelers.net/sb5405.htm

Our Son was given I'm the big Brother t-shirt and his little brother as a present. On the advice of a friend when our 19 month old came into the hospital room to meet his new brother we were not holding the new baby. We brought him over to the bassinet and told him "this is YOUR baby brother" Then let him hold his brother on his lap. He has been helpful and protective for the most part ever since and was never jealous.

Our oldest was 2 1/2 when his baby brother arrived and we got him 3 things:
1. A t-shirt that said "Big Brother"
2. A book about being a big brother
3. A new toy, I believe it was a Spiderman action figure

A bag filled with Dora the Explorer books and a few new puzzles. She loved it!! She was also two when her baby brother was born.

My daughter had just turned 2 when our son was born. When she arrived at the hospital to meet him, his present for her was a soccer ball with princesses on it. My daughter has always loved to play ball of any sort so this was a real treat for her. Now she is 6 and still has this ball. It worked great for us. I also think that a bag of things to keep her busy (while at the hospital) would be great too.

Just curious, but why do you feel it necessary to give your little girl who will be "almost two" a gift when the baby arrives? How about a big hug, and an "I love you." Isn't giving her a new little sibling enough of a "gift?"

We got a big birthday cake (for the baby) and let my daughter have a huge piece when she came to meet him in the hospital. I swear three years later that's the part she remembers the most about when her brother was born : )

Updated

Ours are 17 mos apart. Any new toy she enjoys is good. The best is your time - which is hard. Just try to have her spend some special time w/ you/daddy/grandma etc. Maybe a trip for ice cream or the zoo. Some 1 on 1 time where the focus is on her is what she'll crave.

we took our daughter , 2 when our son was born, to build a bear and let her build a suftie for her and her soon to be baby brother. they each had sweaters on one said " Greatest Sister" the other said " Greatest Brother."

I haven't read any of the other posts - busy this morning, ya know - but I would give my dd who is almost 2 all the "things" for a new baby for her baby like your baby is getting - stroller, baby bed, pack n play, clothes, diapers (you could cloth diapers for her baby doll), baby bath tub. That way, whenever you are taking care of the new baby, she could take care of her baby and really working along side you.

I think pretty much any new toy is good. It just makes them feel special and gives them something to keep them busy while you are with your new little one. Does she have a baby stroller? Those are a big hit with my girls. Plus she will love to baby her baby as she watches you. Before my 2nd was born I got my daughter a new dvd, coloring books/crayons and a little fisher price castle. It plays music and come with a king and Queen. It's really cute and she still plays with it and she is 3 now.

A hand puppet. Good for role playing too!

We gave my 16 month old daughter a new blankie (little giraffe brand)-- she had a little one and her new sister gave her a big one. She still sleeps with it to this day. Then, my son gave his 3 yr old sister and 2 yr old sister little stuffed funny animals and we had a party.

My son turned 2 the day his brother came home, so we had a cupcake and sang to him. You could do that if the bday is close enough or just a celebration congratulating her on becoming a big sister.

I packed little gifts in my hospital bag for him to open when he came to visit and really didn't even mention the baby...it was obvious and he wanted to see his brother, but loved sitting with me and opening his gifts.

We had a slide waiting outside in the yard when we all came home from the hospital and ewveryone went outside to play (I was exhausted, but had to do it!)

We wanted a homebirth but it didn't happen, so I really wanted the transition easy as possible for my older son.