What Gift Did You Give Your Toddler When New Baby Arrived?

Just looking for some ideas on what gift to give my little girl when her new sibling arrives. She is going to be almost 2 years when baby is due. She has a nice baby doll already. What did you all give? thanks

My son was 2.7 when his little brother arrived. He had already helped me pick out a "Big Brother" shirt for him to wear when he came to see the baby for the first time. He is an absolute nut for sweets, so we had a birthday cake for his new brother and sang "Happy Birthday" when my oldest came to visit in the hospital. He loved that he got cake!

We also had a few John Deere books (he was deeply into tractors at the time) that we gave him as a present from his new brother.

First of all, congrats! My daughter was also almost two when her baby sister arrived too. She loves us reading to her so I bought her a couple books and wrapped them all separately that way ever time she came up to the hospital she had something to open from her new baby sister. AND whoever wasn't holding, changing, rocking, etc the baby was able to spend some quality time with her and read her new books. If she's not into reading I would suggest a coloring book and crayons or something else that you can "do" with her....the quality time will mean more to her than a gift alone. Good luck.

When he came to the hospital, we told the older son "the baby has a gift for you!" We found a phone that allows you to record your voice, and before we wrapped it, recorded the "baby" saying "hi, I love you" to his brother! Our older son was 18 months when the baby was born, and he loved getting a gift from his brother.

Our son was two (two months shy of turning three) when his sister was born. His aunt packed a cardboard suitcase for the waiting room for him - cars, crayons, coloring books, etc. That helped with the boredom while waiting. We bought him a digital camera, one of the toddler kinds. We told him it was his job to get extra pictures of his baby sister. We were hoping he would be distracted when everyone oohhed and ahhed over the baby...it worked like a charm. He took pictures of everything except the baby - tiles, trash cans, my i.v., but that's ok. :)

I suggest a toddler digital camera that way she can take her own pictures of the new baby (or in most cases the waiting room the wall the floor pretty much everythign but the baby).

A camera is a great idea! Lots of people will be snapping away at pics of the new baby, so that is a fun thing! Also, you might think about instead of getting her a gift, helping her pick out something for her new baby brother or sister. You could tell her it has to be something really special, etc. and let her pick out a stuffed animal or blanket or something. It worked nicely with my daughter, she was two exactly one week before her brother was born. The only problem was that she was really upset because he wouldn't hold it when she tried to give it to him! Ha! LOL!

I live on Cape Cod and there is something called a Cape Cod bracelet (also known as a Brewster Ladies Bracelet). I know many friends who have given them to daughter's who are becoming big sisters, myself included. They are lovely and can be handed down through generations.

Here is a link to what they look like: http://www.cranberryjewelers.net/sb5405.htm

Our Son was given I'm the big Brother t-shirt and his little brother as a present. On the advice of a friend when our 19 month old came into the hospital room to meet his new brother we were not holding the new baby. We brought him over to the bassinet and told him "this is YOUR baby brother" Then let him hold his brother on his lap. He has been helpful and protective for the most part ever since and was never jealous.

Our oldest was 2 1/2 when his baby brother arrived and we got him 3 things:
1. A t-shirt that said "Big Brother"
2. A book about being a big brother
3. A new toy, I believe it was a Spiderman action figure

1 / 3