What Dosage?

I bought childrens Dimetapp, as my 6 year old has had a yucky cold. I normally use pediacare, but they didn't have any at the store...so I got this instead, which I have never used. It says 2 tsp for 6-under 12...which is fine for my eldest, but not my youngest who is 3 (28 lbs) is getting the same thing, and it says 2- under 6 ask a doctor...and wanted to know if anyone already knew what dosage is appropriate? I have called the clinic to ask, but I am guessing there is a good chance I wont even hear from them today.

Hi there~
We've used that for every cold since my son was 9 mos old. At that weight I'd start w/a tablespoon and look at the results. You could go up to 1.5 Tablespoons which is what we use at 35 pounds.

K.,
From experience with my 5 children I have always taken the does and divided it in half for the younger ones as long as they were over the age of 2. I have also had my peds tell my this as well as the pharmacist that I used to work for as a tech. I have been told to rub the children vicks vapor run on their feet at night and put socks on them, this helps with the congestion and helps them sleep better. I have done with with all of my children and it really does help. Good luck, my 10 year old has this cold as well, I think her body is trying to adjust to Virginia weather as we recently moved from New York and it is just alittle different!

go to askdrsears.com in the medicine cabinet part of the site they give dosages for everything you might ever need to give your child .

I give my 18 month old one tsp... he's about 26 lbs. I checked with our Pediatrician, and she said it was just fine... maybe just under a tsp. It really helps him. I use the grape flavored Cold and Allergy one.

I follow the dosage for childrens tylenol for the weight not the age. I would use 1 tsp.

I believe 1 tsp should be okay. That's what I give my 2 year old (28 pounds also) when I need to give him something not specifically for a 2 year old.

K.,

does it list weight. go by weight not age.

I would avoid giving OTC cold medications to your 3 year old. "An expert advisory panel to the FDA has recommended that parents refrain from giving the medications to children younger than 6." This was a big issue last year when infant and children's cold remedies were pulled from most store shelves. That's probably why you can't find many brands, although some stores still sell them. Here's a recent article about the debate:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_67826.html

Asking other moms about dosages is probably one of the behaviors the experts are worried about. You should only dose the exact amount required by your child, not some estimate. Honey has been proven to be a better cough suppressant that Robitussin too. Give it a try.

Half the older kid dosage should be ok but you really should ask your doctor. It is based more on weight than age...as an example, my daughter recently had to take children's clariton and based on the box I would have given her 1/2 tsp but the doctor said just 2 ml which is less than the 1/2 tsp I would have guessed(she is one the high side of avearge for weight).

Hope the kids are all better soon.

1 / 3