What Do Your Kids Really Eat for Dinner??

I'm not looking for new recipies or anything, I just really want to know what other families actually feed their kids. I have 2 preschoolers and we eat out once a week. Is that about normal?? I'm trying to cook relatively healthy meals and while my kids would love Mac and Cheese every night of the week, I do insist that they eat family meals. But it seems like i only have about 4 staple meals that i'm serving over and over. The cookbooks and recipe sites make it seem like i should be cooking these crazy meal and never repeat them once during the month. I just want to know what regular families actually serve (and get your families to eat) during a 2 week period.

i serve chicken 2 or 3 times at home.

We have easy meals, my 15 and 12 year old help cook.

Chicken usually whole baked, rice and vegetables

london broil if on sale

pork if on sale.

go by what's on sale usually and yes repeat lots.

Kids make italian if i'm not gonna be home, can's or meatballs, spaghetti.

Mac n Cheese once a week.

What i have done though from when they are little is they eat vegetables while rest of dinner cooking. Probably why each kid eats at least a small can of vegetables a day, though only peas, carrots, green beans and corn I try to rotate as much as possible.

i serve chicken 2 or 3 times at home.

london broil if on sale

pork if on sale.

Mac n Cheese once a week.

Hi Kristi! My daughter is a bit younger (15 months)but we try to eat a variety of things. For dinners we usually have a veggie or two (broccoli, cauliflower, b-sprouts, peppers, peas, and corn) are the most popular, for carbs we usually have rice, pasta, or potatoes (potatoes are good because you can make them in many ways... mashed, baked, seasoned in little squares with evoo in a pan/oven, or even home-made fries) and we also do sweet potatoes. We eat chicken a lot (tenderloins, split, and whole chickens are very easy) but also use the lean ground turkey, sausage, and occasionally steak or ground beef. We have a lot of salads and fruit. During the day we eat more fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, left-overs, bagels, cereals, soups, waffles, grilled cheese, and frozen veggies because they are very easy to heat up). Rachael Ray has a lot of easy recipes that she makes on her show and you can look up on her web-site. She has a section for family favorites and also 30-minute meals. Also cooks.com and the food network are good for getting ideas, you can just type in the ingredients you have. We also eat out about once a week, sometimes one dinner and one breakfast/lunch too. I think that is fine and it gives everyone a break from cooking and cleaning up.

we eat a lot of repeats. We have chicken at least once a week, meat loaf once every two weeks, steak if it's on sale, pork chops, spegetti, something with ground meat, and sometimes breakfast for dinner. As for veggies, potatoes and corn just about all of the time, fresh carrots, fresh broccoli, canned grean beans and peas, and of course salads. Mac and cheese maybe every two weeks, a roast every two weeks, I do a beef stew once every two weeks. My husband and I like to try and change it up a bit so at least once a month we try a new recipe. Most weeks though our menu really is determined by cost. We do eat out one to two nights a week. Usually Friday and Saturday. Hope this helps.

I cook a variation of baked or grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, salmon or cod, or an occasional turkey or chicken sausage, served with one or two vegetables as sides typically steamed with a little butter on them or a baked sweet potato or squash.

I use premade marinades and sauces and just throw the meat/fish in the oven still frozen with a little olive oil and marinade over it while the veggies are cooking. I vary the presentation a little, but not much. It is essentially the same 5 or 6 meals over and over again, but on weekends I put the effort into making something special. For a treat I buy the McCain's potatoes and pop them in the oven as well.

We try to avoid carbs unless they are whole and multigrain, and the potatoes and vegetables supply plenty of fiber. I stopped cooking for the family and started cooking for myself a few months ago. There was minor opposition at first, but they have all adjusted just fine. As a result for me, I didn't gain more than 12 lbs for this pregnancy and after giving birth to my second child a month ago, I have already lost 15 lbs of the weight I gained from my first pregnancy. Woo hoo!!

I would not feel bad about repeating--as long as the food is healthy and your kids like it, you should feel good about that!! My 2-year old is a very picky eater, I have spent hours making new recipes that I hope he would like only to be disappointed. So now I make easy dinners with microwavable Steamfresh brand veggies (corn, peas, greenbeans-I have to add a some butter or no go). I make turkey burgers, pizza, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, rice and beans, pasta salads mixes--Target has some great pasta salad mixes. Tonight he refused to eat his dinner, so he ended up eating Corn Flakes..at least he ate something I guess. The pediatrician says not to force the food--just give choices. We eat out at least once or twice a week for dinner and a few more times for lunch (Wendy, Brueggers, etc). He always gets his Flintstone vitamin, lots of raisans and we try to get him to eat as much fruit as possible. I all honesty, I don't think it is necessary to make elaborate meals and I still don't have one recipe book that really works for us unfortunately. Don't stress--sounds like you are doing a great job. Good luck to you.

Hi Kristi, I have two picky eaters and yes we seem to eat the same thing too all the time, but my one is getting better so there is hope. I find these items go over the best.
Macaroni and meatballs, chicken cutlet, ham steak with pineapple, pork tenderloin cooked either with teriki or made candy style, they love that and you can do it with chicken too. liverwirst only oscar mayer and american cheese. Veggies, candy carrots, broccoli, frozen peas. They also love mashed potatoes and butter noodles with cheese. When we go out it is usually cheeseburgers, chicken fingers and pasta. I also do cut up cucumbers and black olives and lots of fruit. Hope this helps you out if you want any to know more about the candy chicken let me know. R.

My kids are 18 and 20, so they aren't home much anymore. But I still cook everyday for whoever is here.

I have to say that I love to cook. That's not to say that I like cooking all the time! But I probably have maybe 10 regular meal menus that float in and out of my cooking routine. Most of these are recipes that were passed down through the generations of my family. I may only make one of those 10 traditional meals every month or so, and any other day I'm making up what's for dinner based on what I have on hand. I used to make up menus and then shopped for ingredients, but that got to be pricey, especially in the early years when money was particularly tight. Well grocery bills are climbing again, and fast! I'm glad I just shop for food, not meals. It does save money. I cook about 95% of my food from scratch, so I shop for ingredients not meals, and I generally just buy what's on sale. So if spinach is on sale, then that will be on the menu sometime this week. When I put it in the cart, I may have no idea what I'll do with it, but if it's fresh and affordable, I figure out a way to use it. I do the same with meat and nearly everything else we eat. I just keep a variety of veggies and meats in the house, and staples and basic menu-builders like flour, pasta, potatoes, cereal, rice, etc. Usually I have a rough idea what I'll cook a day or two ahead. Tonight, I know that I have lots of veggies, pasta and not a lot of time. I'll throw it all together and make something quick with what's on hand. I have oranges that were on sale, and I'm going to just have those for dessert. I've always cooked that way... sort of on the fly, and I've kept a pretty well-rounded selection of recipe-builders on hand. I found that menu planning for a week just sort of boxed me in. Cooking is a creative outlet for me, so I know that I'm not like most people. Because I like to cook, I often don't make the same dish EXACTLY the same way twice. My husband says that dinner is always an adventure. I like to read recipes, but I don't really follow them. LOL I just sort of see the "bones" of the recipe, the ingredients, the method, and then I go to it and see what I come up with. My kids have always been good eaters, big appetites, and they'll try anything. We've never had any picky eater issues here, and I think a lot of that is because I raised them in my kitchen the way my mom and grandmothers raised me. They like food, they are good cooks, they think cooking is fun.

Yes, sometimes cooking is a plain old chore. Then we order out, or we take something out of the freezer and heat it up. But mostly, we eat what's available, what's fresh, and what's affordable.

Kristi,
I make whatever I have handy. I work 40 hours a week and have 3 kids. Sometimes after everyone is in bed for the night, that's when I start cooking. I break out the crock pot and set it at a low temperature and throw in all the fixin's. Last night I made beef stew. I threw some stewing beef in the pot with about 2 cups of water and then raided the pantry for whatever canned veggies I had on stock. A little salt and pepper. Got up in the morning and turned it off, let it cool down, and through it in the fridge. When I get home from work, I'll throw it back on high for about an hour and dinner is served. One of my family's favorite crock pot recipes is chicken breast with mushroom soup. That's it. I throw it in the crock pot and go to sleep. Sometimes we just have a soup and sandwich night to break things up a bit. Peanut butter and jelly or grilled cheese with soup. Sometimes we have breakfast night. Pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage. Also, I have cook books from Taste of Home. They have some really great recipes. Look on the packages your products come from.....you'd be surprised what great recipes you can find there too! Have fun!

1 / 3