What Do You Think Is Wrong with America?

Lazy parenting? High society? Low morals? Poor economy? Bad legislation? No legislation? Not enough God? Too much God?

Does it worry you if America is on the decline? Or are you confident the world your children will one day live in on their own will be better than yours? Or worse?

Do you have any kind of solution to it all?

I know my question is presumptuous...I know there is so much good in this country, like countless people who take care of the poor, the abused, the neglected, the forgotten. But still, because of recent events, I'm curious to know everyone's opinion of our country these days.

I have a friend who wants to move overseas because she thinks they have better morals than America has right now, and when prompting her to offer a solution instead of running away, she had nothing to say.

*Awesome responses. Honest and sincere. We have so much to learn from one another.

Noone is right or wrong here, and I never said whether I agree with my friend or not. I just shared with you folks that I had asked her if she had a solution to everything she has a problem with in this country and she couldn't come up with anything. I totally respect her POV, especially due to recent tragedies.

1) Things were never as good as you think they were in 'the good old days'.
2) There is nothing new under the sun - it's all happened before - and it will all happen again.
3) People are people where ever you go.

If anythings wrong - it's that people are too introspective wondering about what's wrong.
Maybe it's the press of 7 billion people on the planet that has an affect on us something like lemmings.
Over crowded animals tend to go a bit crazy.

Personal responsibility, nothing is ever anyone's fault anymore.

The mental health system ---- or huge lack of a mental health system.

The entitlement attidtude -- I want it I deserve it so I get it.

Some TV programing promoting bullying .... Dance Moms -- Fashion Police -- Bridezillas for instance. I've never watched either program but from what I've seen on the promos it's all about bullying people.

TV commercials that promote taking without asking --- strangers or co-workers simply taking food away from someone else.

Polarization - I love America, but I don't like the "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude that some people have. The pundits drive me crazy because they just seek to wedge people apart.

When people stop, take a breath, respect that others may be different in their opinions, beliefs, etc., and can be ok with that, it's just fantastic. I love that.

GREAT POST Tat2D - Leggo my Eggo, so I can break it in half and share it with you! :)

A.:

It's a little bit of everything...and no, it's not presumptuous.

too much "entitlement"....kids no longer have to EARN things...parents just GIVE.

no concept of money...kids since they don't have to EARN their way...and many parents just hand over money to kids...

Over population - there are sooo many people in this world, it's not even funny.

It is true, as a country, our morals have gone WWWWAAAAAYYY down hill...do you remember when it was OBSCENE and wrong for Barbara Eden to show her belly button on "I dream of Jeannie"??? Now women wearing clothes that show their breasts is nothing and no one (not many) bat an eye....

Do I believe that my children will live in a world better than I grew up in? No.

There seems to be a lack of values, morals and integrity for many in America as well....many kids are not held accountable for their actions...no consequences...

We are a "wired" society now. See it, want it, buy it...MUST HAVE NOW...today's technology will be "outdated by next week it seems....

many parents want to give their child/ren "all they didn't have" growing up...well...sorry- but if you didn't have LOVE growing up - that's great - shower your children in it - NOT MATERIAL POSSESSIONS...

Stop EXPECTING someone else to do it for you (generalized - not **YOU**)
Stop expecting the government to take care of you (again, GENERALIZED)
STOP trying to keep up with the Jones'...
LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS!!!

Value yourself and life...teach respect...show respect...
Model your behavior for your children...they can see duplicitous behavior...
KNOW your child/ren's friends...who they hang out with - BE INVOLVED...it is NOT the school or day care's responsibility to raise your child/ren...

Welfare is a TEMPORARY MEASURE...not a way of life...(yes, I know there are people who do NOT see it as a way of life).

Don't have a kid if you can't afford it...if you are on welfare...don't have a child. it's not fair to you, the child or society.

EXPECT the best from yourself and your children......don't settle for mediocre....EFFORT and TRYING count and make a HUGE difference...

Keep God in your life...if you are not deeply religious - okay - but there is still good thoughts, etc....treat others the way you want to be treated...

There is SOOO much that can be done...but people have to take responsibility....stop expecting others to clean up their mess or to take care of them....baby steps...but they go a long way!!

What's wrong in the USA?

Too many Americans don't realize just how good we have it.

That we don't follow the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Heinlein wrote a piece once that says everything I ever could and more.

Sick Culture v Dieing Culture

--- Robert A. Heinlein (conversation between Dr. Baldwin & Friday Baldwin.. In "Friday")

What are the marks of a sick culture?

It is a bad sign when the people of a country stop identifying themselves with the country and start identifying with a group. A racial group. Or a religion. Or a language. Anything, as long as it isn't the whole population.

A very bad sign. Particularism. It was once considered a Spanish vice but any country can fall sick with it. Dominance of males over females seems to be one of the symptoms.

Before a revolution can take place, the population must loose faith in both the police and the courts.

High taxation is important and so is inflation of the currency and the ratio of the productive to those on the public payroll. But that's old hat; everybody knows that a country is on the skids when its income and outgo get out of balance and stay that way - even though there are always endless attempts to wish it way by legislation. But I started looking for little signs and what some call silly-season symptoms.

I want to mention one of the obvious symptoms: Violence. Muggings. Sniping. Arson. Bombing. Terrorism of any sort. Riots of course - but I suspect that little incidents of violence, pecking way at people day after day, damage a culture even more than riots that flare up and then die down. Oh, conscription and slavery and arbitrary compulsion of all sorts and imprisonment without bail and without speedy trial - but those things are obvious; all the histories list them.

I think you have missed the most alarming symptom of all. This one I shall tell you. But go back and search for it. Examine it. Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms as you have named... But a dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than a riot.

This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. Look for it. Study it. It is too late to save this culture - this worldwide culture, not just the freak show here in California. Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile; we must again have books, of stable inks and resistant paper.
--- Friday and Dr. Baldwin in Friday

Everything starts with the family - EVERYTHING. Many parents I believe are so removed from the original parenting role that we have let our children be raised by society as a whole rather than from our own direct involvement. You want your child to be empathetic, knowledgeable, strong, ethical... well, start in your own home. Guns, games, tv, media, politicians should not give our children power, guidance, moral values. Too many people pointing fingers rather than teaching our kids lessons for the future.

We as americans have no idea the actual concept of survival for day-to-day necessities. We have children getting pissy at their parents for not buying them the latest and greatest. That's our fault. Our kids are bored, lazy, and entitled. They have no idea about appreciation of good health, life and love. That's our fault. We pander to their "needs" - giving into their "wants" and so when they grow up they have no way of coping when things don't go their way. Having a bad day - take some prescription drugs. Oh - you feeling depressed - take some drugs. Can't loose weight with diet and exercise - take drugs. Can't sleep - take drugs. Can't get up - take drugs. Can't get it up - take drugs. Oh and guess what - if you or your child think differently, act differently - then you must have some sort of mental illness so guess what - take some more drugs.

If we ever had to go to war with another country that did not have our modern conveniences or weaponry - we Americans would never survive as we've gotten so dependent and lazy and have taught our children how to be lazy that way as well. Poor Johnny isn't doing well in school or sports so lets just lower the bar so everyone can be a winner!

Yes, I'm venting - I'm not trying to offend anyone though so please don't take this personally.

3) People are people where ever you go.

I don't think anything is "Wrong" with America.

As a country, we are very very young. If you look at the history of the MANY countries that have been around for thousands of years, you can see we've got some bugs to work out, we've got some growing up to do. We are still figuring out our own identity.

I am not highly educated on the subject of history, or even currents events, but I do know a thing or two about human nature, just from observing. And I do know that no other country on the planet has such a wide variety of people. And I feel I'm proud to be a part of such a unique entity, where we all, somehow, miraculously, for the most part, live our lives together, despite our incredible differences. And the passion with which we are free to disagree with each other, is the very thing that makes us the greatest country in the world.

I think it's gonna be ok, I really do.

:)

Personal Responsibility , or lack there of.
No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. There's a fix for everything and no one is owning up to anything.
I agree morality has gone down the toilet but that's everywhere. Sex sells everything. And it's become common place for spouses to cheat on each other. Marriage is no longer a sacred vow before God between a man and woman. It's disposable. No one wants to work for anything. We're all " Entitled" to things. Well no you aren't the only thing you are entitled to is "the pursuit of happiness" . But Pursuit requires work.

1 / 3