What Do You Think Is Being Implied?

Ok, so I heard a statement being made that really rubbed me the wrong way and I just want to know if I was interpreting wrong.
Let me give a little background: There is a couple who were married while pregnant, we will call them Mary Ellen and Bob. Fast forward a few years and they have a second baby. Now here is the conversation I heard, "Wow the baby looks JUST like Bob, it's amazing how much that baby looks like him! The oldest child really doesn't look like him, and you know, that child doesn't look like Mary Ellen either... wonder who this one looks like? I mean there really isn't any resemblance to Mary Ellen, and doesn't look like Bob at ALL." What do you think is being implied here?

Thanks Ladies! That is all I needed to hear! The statement was said to me about our children by my husband's aunt. Who, by the way, tends to be a trouble maker, and seems to like to cause family drama. The funny thing is that my daughter, our oldest, used to look a LOT like my husband, but as she is growing, she now looks JUST like me. Our son looks like a clone of my husband.
I really wanted to ask because my husband was trying to think of a million different things she could have meant, but none of them fit the tone she was using with me. First impression is that she was saying that my husband isn't the father of our oldest. To be honest she never really "approved" of me, and that was kind of my last straw. I will always be civil to the woman, but I won't go out of my way for her.

You really had to ask that? Would it have helped if they asked what the milk man looks like?

My mom used to do that with everyone she didn't like....strange people I tell ya.

Well if they were just saying it didn't look like "Bob" then I would think they were implying it might not be his. But since they're saying it doesn't look like "Bob" OR "Mary Ellen" maybe they think the kid is someone else's. (Or it could be that they're just dumb.) What else could it be?

I think it's just wondering who the kid looks like (grandma? uncle pete?) since the statement includes not looking like either parent.

That Bob is not the father of the first child, naturally. Ah, gossip.

What's being implied? That they look different. I think you're overanalzying :-)

My son Greg was a toe-head blonde baby with big blue eyes. My husband and I both have dark hair and dark eyes. My husband is of Russian decent so he has (not a lot) darker/almost olive colored skin.

When we took Greg out - people would ask- "who's side does he resemble?"
Bob responded - "The Mail Man's..." - they said really?!! Does that bother you? Bob said - no. he gets to see him almost every day.

If you put a picture of Greg next to his cousin - they could be brother and sister.

Nicky has black eyes and brown hair and darker skin like his daddy's.

seriously- what does it matter? What is being implied? the kids looks different - did they get the wrong baby? did they adopt her? so what? press on....people will say the darndest things. Sometimes they do it to hurt people...sometimes they make comments and then open mouth, insert foot...other times they are just ignorant...if this is what someone said about YOU and your husband - and you know the child is yours. don't stress over it. let it go.

Too funny! Some people always want to cause drama.

When my daughter was born, I found out years later, my dad asked if I was sure she was my husband's. We married when she was 15 months old. My husband is black, I am white, but our kids are VERY light skinned. And my middle child is almost hard to tell he is mixed.

Don't let stuff like that get to you :).

Nothing. I think some one is just making the observation that the child does not look like the parents. My daughter looks like me sister when she was that age. All it means is she looks like my sister.

1 / 3