What Do You Spend? - Pittsburgh,PA

If you go to a baby shower, or a wedding shower, what do you typically spend?
There was a post about a $5 baby shower gift and I was shocked at that idea!
I'm not talking about your sister, SIL, best friend, etc....just a run-of-the mill shower for a run-of-the mill (for lack of a better term) person.
The bare minimum for me, would probably be $25, then the card, then the gift wrap/bag/bows ending up at about $35 total.

What do you typically spend?

$5 seems a low, borderline insulting. I have a $10-$15 budget for people that I am not that close to. But I can do a lot with $15!

Yep, $25 is good enough.
And yep, the gift wrapping/bows/card costs a lot too!

As an aside: aren't razor blades just an outrageous cost?????
Anyway, just an aside vent.

all the best,
Susan

For a coworker who I am not close with, I'd say I'd throw in $5-$10 towards a group gift.

Acquaintances/friends I'm not super close with - $20.

Family/Close friends - usually $30-$50 (30 for shower, 50 for gift).

This is before the wrapping paper, bows and card.

Weddings WE are in - $75 for the wedding. (we have one in October).

Most of my close friends are in a similar financial situation as we are and value used items. For all of the recent baby showers I've attended, I've passed on valuable second hand items. The cost: zero dollars. The item is on loan. For example, I am loaning a beautiful and sturdy bassinet to some of my friends who had a baby in December. When she grows out of it, they'll give it back.

Alternatively, we'll all pool money for a needed item.

When baby is born, I leave a care package on the parent's/mother's front porch and include pulp fiction / magazines, one or more easy to prepare/reheat meals (ex: fresh ravioli, nice sauce, salad, salad dressing, fresh / ripe fruit, a cheap bottle of sparkling wine, a few fun tokens/treasures for the older sibling...etc). Cost: 15-50 dollars depending on where we/they are at financially.

Often, if medical complications have occurred, and/or if mama's support network is lacking, I'll spend a few hours / few days with her and do laundry, dishes, cooking, burping, rocking and company.

I don't buy cards. I think they are an atrocious waste of money. I do LOVE gift wrapping and card making, but often use cloth / fancy paper / ribbon that I have saved from various sources.

for not well known person $15-20. For a good friend $35-$60.

For a shower gift, I spend between $25-$75. Depends on who it is and what they need.

Co-worker ~ we all chip in $10.00 and do a combined gift off the registry
My family ~ my mom, SIL & myself chip in $15.00 and do a combined gift off the registry
DH's family ~ whatever my MIL tells me my share is....
SIL's ~ did about $80.00 for each of the 3
Good friends ~ I would say about $50.00
So-So friends ~ $15.00 - $20.00
Man I didn't realize I had so many ranges until I had to write it out : )

I was going to ask this!

For a run-of-the mill shower/wedding, I would spend about $50 on the gift, and then another $5-$10 on the card and bag.

For someone really close to me, $50 to $150 on up, depending on their financial status, need, MY financial status at the time, etc.

The $5 really shocked me too!

For a person I'm not close to about$40. Then again, in these situations, I think it is acceptable for multiple people to go into a nicer gift spending 10 -15 dollars each. I think thats a great way to lessen the burden and still get a descent gift. There was a lot of that going on with my work place baby shower and I was glad that individuals did not spend too much on me.

1 / 3