What Do You Serve for Thanksgiving?

This is the first year that Thanksgiving will be at my house and a little nervous. What do you serve for Thanksgiving?

If you want to cook the meal yourself I highly recommend going to savingdinner.com and checking out their Thanksgiving menu - it gives you recipes, grocery lists, time lines, etc. I've used it the last two years and loved it.

Go to honey baked ham and buy a ham and turkey breast
a carrot cake and dressing
go home and make macaroni and cheese
greens beans
yams with marshmallows
some dinner rolls
greens and pumpkin pie and eat up

That's what I do

It's VERY traditional. It's what we both grew up with -- combined. Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, home-made mac & cheese, yeast rolls, pumpkin & pecan pie (sometimes a fruit pie & another green veg if we're having more company).

We start the day with a big breakfast and snack on a family-recipe dip that's only served on Thanksgiving & Christmas.

We just combined our favorites and the thing we simply could not give up from our families' traditions when we married and came up with what our children now call "theirs". Make the things that comfort you and your family. It'll turn out perfect!

Enjoy making your traditions,
R. F.

we mostly go with the traditional dinner; turkey, stuffing, mac and cheese, veggies, rolls, and deserts..pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and chocolate pie..only because I only like chocolate pie :)

Have a great Thanksgiving this year with your family!!

My husband does not like turkey too much so we have spiral sliced ham as our main dish, turkey breast for those that like turkey, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, rolls, green bean casserole, yams, stuffing and a couple of pies for the sweets. I agree that maybe you can ask people to bring a dish, which will help out.

Our holidays are just hubby, daughter and myself.

I LOVE to cook and love it even more during the holiday season. I make a very traditional dinner, even if it is for the 3 of us. I have enough food to feed an army but it is our tradition. We enjoy the leftovers as well...

I have roasted, stuffed turkey, sweet potato casserole, green beans, mashed potatoes, home made cranberry sauce, a side of stuffing that is not cooked inside the bird, bread and pumpkin pie.

For Christmas Eve or New Years...I do a prime rib.

Hope that helps.

Lots of great suggestions already.

In addition to the traditional dishes mentioned, we usually make an ethnic dish (in our house that means Meat Dumplings & Kugula).

Also, whenever I host a big meal like this, I make sure to set snacks out before everyone gets there... relish tray with black/green olives, sweet & dill pickles, etc.... Veggie tray with mini carrots, celery sticks, sliced cucumbers, etc... bowl of nuts or pretzels. That way, if people come starving, and you're not planning on serving right away, they can still snack. The veggie tray, or a fruit bowl also give options for people who want to eat a little healthier, even on the holiday.

www.familyeguide.com Free guide to affordable family activities in Lewisville, Flower Mound, Highland Village, and the surrounding communities.

the year i hosted it, i served the basics and had people bring things. i made turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, and 2 desserts, as well as some appetizers. my family filled in the rest. i had lots of leftovers to shove off on them!

hints: do most of your shopping early, as the stores will be a madhouse the day before. prepare as much as you can a few days in advance (organize and wash dishes that you will need, set out decorations, chop vegetables, organize recipes, etc.).

1 / 3