What Do You Get Your Kids for Easter?

Growing up, Easter was always a small gift and a basket with candy and eggs along with the egg hunt. My husband and I have always give the kids a gift on Easter, one year it was new bikes - another year it was chairs for going to sporting events. So the price has ranged, but always something. This year I WANTED to get them scooters, but we are in pay down debt mode and have no extra money without taking from savings that is planned for other things (like day care over the summer and Disney in September). So what do you give? Maybe we can just step up the activities for Easter? Or we are going away April 20-23 so maybe we can play that off as a gift from the Easter bunny? (Also, we go to church every Sunday and totally get the real meaning behind the holiday, but we like to have fun with the kids as well :).)

Thanks, ladies. We definitely have the holiday as a spiritual holiday, but we do give the kids a little something extra. It just worked if they all needed new bikes at the same time or something like that. I REALLY like the idea's of new flip flops, sun glasses, bubbles, chalk, outside toys. That sounds like a fun and very affordable gift to do for them this year!

We don't give something extra (like a toy/present)...we just do easter baskets with candy and small things/plastic easter stuff. Maybe a small stuffed animal in the basket too.

We just do baskets with candy and maybe some art supplies or small toys. As they age we'll probably do some money eggs like my mother used to do for me. You're actually the first I've heard about giving an actual gift like Santa.

Basket with candy, maybe a DVD or a Wii game, kite, punch-ball, etc.

Believe me, your kids won't "notice" the lack of a larger gift. Way to go for being financially responsible. Then you will have more flexibility for other Easters, right? That's the point.

Mine gets a basket w/ a small amount of candy. I usually stick a small gift in it too. This year it will be the new Barbie Fairy movie she really wants.

We always kept the focus on our spiritual beliefs. We still did Easter egg hunts when they were little with a few quarters in some of the eggs and a chocolate bunny in the basket. Now that they are older, I still give them and my husband a candy treat of some kind.
Other kids in our neighborhood would get more than we give our kids at Christmas.

We do candy, and little things, stickers, play doh, silly putty, sidewalk chalk, cute socks, a book, I always though it had to fit in the basket! my teen girl would get diff color flip flops which looked cute in the basket. Sons got tennis balls, or baseballs whatever he was into...

My son ONLY like Hershey Kisses so he'll be finding LOTS of plastic eggs will those in them. It's also his fourth birthday so I'm thinking of a scooter but he really doesn't/won't the difference.

I've also been stockpiling "Cars" cars for his baskets. Last year was the first year he "got" the idea of an egg hunt so THIS year will be even MORE fun!

We always get things that the kids need... Not that stuff from the Easter aisle that they will never use and will later be thrown away... Socks, hair stuff, deoderant, clothes, etc...

1 / 3