What Do You Do with the Comforter That Comes with Your Baby's Crib Bedding Set?

I know you're not supposed to use a comforter when you put an infant to sleep (to help prevent SIDS). So, what should I do with the comforter that came with my baby's crib bedding set? Right now it's folded up and just keeps migrating from corner to corner in her bedroom. It seems like such a waste of material! I'd be very interested to know what other parents have done with their babies' comforters. Even if you don't think it's a "clever" solution, anything's got to be better than throwing it in the corner of the room! Thanks for your ideas!

Wow, I received so many great responses! I've decided to hang the comforter on the wall as decoration. I'm going to use the clips that many people mentioned so that I don't put holes in the comforter, and then I can use it as a real blanket on my daughter when she's older and we've moved her from the crib to a bed. Thank you to everyone for your valuable input!

Mine has been used as decoration too, but draped over the back of the rocker. It still is a great addition to the room decor, but is easily usable (floor play, etc). An added bonus - it has caught spit-up sometimes as we rocked baby, and the comforter is easier to throw in the washer than the upholstered chair! :)

We have a shelf, that has a quilt bar under it, and that is where I hang the comforter/quilt for the baby's bedding. It makes a wonderful wall decoration.

I always just kept it over the end of the crib for decoration. It brightened up the room. As they got older, it helped keep the light out of their eyes in the morning.

I use mine as a play mat for baby. Also, if it is cute enough, you could make a hanging mural in your baby's room.

I also put mine over the back of the rocker but now that my son is moving to a toddler bed I'm finally going to use it!!

you could get a quilt hanger and use it on the wall as decoration.

Try having it framed. It can be a nice accent peice in her room. That's what we did with the one for our daughter and the one for our son.

Yes, it is a waste of material, cute as they are. It's a shame that we parents spend sooo much money on things we think they HAVE to have and they turn out to be unnecessary.

Ours migrated around the room as well. I also used it as a floor blanket for the baby. Also, we rarely used the crib, so it spent alot of time draped over the side. When our girl got a toddler bed, it sometimes was a bed spread. My boy slept on top of it in the crib. He was a stomach-sleeper. The one thing it never was was a covering for a baby. It's a shame, since I was so thrilled to find something cute that could be for girls and boys.

Hello!
I hung my son's comforter on the wall using a quilt hanger. It looked adorable, and I received lots of nice compliments on what a good idea it was! I felt like it was at least getting some use....considering how much bedding costs!
Blessings,
M. C.

You could hang it on the wall, like a quilt. I used ours in the playpen and for my girl's tummy time.

1 / 3