What Do You Call Your Daughter's....

Hi, Everyone:

My 23 mo. old is just starting to be at the age where she is curious about all body parts. I was curious how other mothers reference their daughter's vagina or what they call it when they go the the bathroom. I don't want to use pee-pee or poopy...At this point we've been calling bowel movements 'foo-foos' and urinating 'tinkle.'

Thank you to everyone for your informative responses. Honestly, I understand the need to use the anatomically appropriate language and I'm not opposed to it; however I was a bit overwhelmed with the tone of seriousness within most of the responses. When the time comes, I will certainly teach my daughter the correct names of her vulva, vagina etc.. and explain it all, just not at 23mo. old! Special thanks to those of you who had interesting/fun names.

down south we called it a tutti. So that's what I grew up knowing it as...and daddy had a ding dong. This ought to be a fun one to read.

My husband came up with the names:
for the boy's parts: ding-a-ling
for the girl's: hoo-ha

I tried calling breasts "boobs" once with my daughter, and she changed it to "boogalies."

I agree that the proper terms are preferable by far. It is interesting that some people unknowingly use derrogatory terms (pudenda means "organs of shame").

You will probably usually be referring to her external parts, so vulva is more likely what you'd want to say as vagina, of course, means something different.

When I was growing up my parents used the term "BM" for bowel movement, that's one idea.

I am against using cute names for body parts. There are two reasons why one for increasing the proper use of body part names and fuctions. Two how else will a child know how to defend themselves sexually if we do not start with proper body part names and tell them that no one has a right to touch them inside thier underware. There are to many preditors out there below 10 and older. We cannot scare our kids to death but we have to let them know there are bad people out there.

I love the analogy that people are like weather. Some are bright and shiney like a great sunny day. Some are glummy and sad like a rainy day. Some are loud and anrgy like a thunderstorm. Some are angry and distroy things like a tornado. Some just distroy everything in their path like a huricane. Then you ask your child how many different types of weather they have seen. This helps them understand that bad people are there but not all the time.

Good Morning J.

Before my husband and I had kids, we talked about 'baby talk' for words and phrases and we both agreed that we would state their actual names. So when our children started asking 'what is this' we told them the names. When my eldest was 3 or 4 (he is 19 now) my sister-in-law said 'do you love me mo much', my son didn't know what 'mo' meant, so he asked me and I said 'so'. He ended up telling his aunt that he didn't talk like a baby so he would use the word 'so'. I can not believe she actually got mad at him! She has since had 3 kids of her own and no one in the family can understand half the stuff that her kids say because everything is baby talk.

God's Blessings

Usually it's better to use the correct terminology for all body parts and functions. Tinkle is ok, but for the rest call it what it is. It makes it a lot less confusing for kids as they grow up.

I have hwaed in Hawii they call it yoni for girl or I say potty goer.

I'm so happy to read that so many mothers advocate using the correct terminology when it comes to describing private parts!

There's no need to bring shame to a body part, whether it is a vulva, vagina, toe, face, belly, whatever! Using proper terminology and being 'matter-of-fact' (not embarrassed) when talking about sexual organs or private parts sends the signal to your child that knowing about these body parts is normal and healthy. Sending positive and clear messages from the get-go will only encourage your daughter to know that it is okay to come and talk to mommy about sexual health issues later on down the road, instead of looking it up on the internet (yikes!) or believing what she hears from friends at school.

We call the vagina by its sanskrit name- Yoni (pronounced yoh nee). I think it is a beautiful word. We just call pee and poop what they are, so no help there. P.S.just want to say that I have told my kids that vagina is what most people call it, so they won't have any suprises.

1 / 3