What Do We Do If Baby Is Born at Home or in the Car?

I know I sound crazy but what if my baby comes before I have a chance to get to the hospital? What do we need to know like do we need to clean out their mouths and cut the cord or things like that.....

What a great idea.....call 911.....LOL duh! My pregnancy brain farts are getting worse the closer I get to June 6th my due date.

I would suggest if you are in the car or at home and you are unable to make it to the hospital before the baby comes, then you need to call 911 and a dispatcher will walk you through everything that you need to do. I would not rely on advice from anyone other than a trained professional in this matter.

You do not sound crazy. I wish I would have asked that question when I was pregnant with my 2nd. I know every labor is different, but I only had 3 contractions that were anywhere from 7 to 20 minutes apart. My husband was shaving so we could go in. I got up to get dressed and felt her coming! My daughter was born on my bed delivered by my husband. (45 minutes from first contraction to birth)

Call 911. The operator was so nice and helpful. The paramedics got there about 30 seconds after she was born and took over.

Women have been having babies for a looooooooong time before hospitals! The good news is cell phones, paramedics, police dispatchers, etc. You'll be fine. If this is your first baby, you'll have a LOT of time to get to the hospital.

Your post made me laugh, because when our first child was born, we lived in Berkeley and our baby was going to be born in San Francisco, which meant that we would have to cross the Oakland Bay Bridge in order to get to the hospital. If you have ever been to San Francisco, you know how bad the traffic can be! My husband was terrified that the baby would be born in a traffic jam on the Bay Bridge. And then I went into labor on a Friday morning during rush hour! LOL One of our baby shower gifts was a catcher's mitt, everyone in the family thought it was so funny how paranoid my husband was. Well, long story short, I was in labor for 14 hours. So... there was PLENTY of time to get to the hospital! You will be very, very lucky indeed if your labor goes fast enough that you will have to worry about delivering the baby in the car! =) But if it does happen, just like the other moms said, call 911. But it won't come to that! Congrats on your baby!

J., this is an important consideration! I know because my last two labors were planned home births that progressed very quickly. My midwife was about 15 minutes after the birth of one and about 15 minutes before the birth of the other! The first thing that pops in my mind is to keep yourself and the baby warm. The baby, by holding it directly against your skin and massaging its body and yourself with whatever blankets, clothing or person is available. Also, don't worry about the cord, keeping that connection actually continues to deliver oxygen to your baby as their lungs become accustomed to their new job. You might even consider researching this yourself and negotiating for a delayed cord clamping from your caregivers. I know it sounds cliche, but knowledge really can be power! My absolute favorite birth book is Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. The first part of the book is birth stories from the midwives and parents, as a first time mother this really opened my eyes to how uncomplicated birth can be. The second half is about birth from a technical aspect, knowledge that my husband and I found reassuring. I hope this helps!

Congratulations and don't worry! If human beings needed doctors and hospitals to be born, we would have been extinct a long long time ago.

If your baby comes au natural, which would be very unlikely for a first baby, she or he will be just fine. DON'T cut the cord! You don't have to. There is absolutely no medical reason baby can't remain attached to the cord for a while as you get yourself to the hospital. The issue there is remaining sterile, and chances are you don't have anything in your car that is sterile, so don't bother. IF it happens (which I'd bet money that it won't) then just deliver the placenta, it will come out on its own, and put it right next to baby in the receiving blanket.

BTW, my son was born at home (planned) and it was safer than being born in a hospital. Read The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer for statistical information on hospital intervention procedures. That's what you reallly have to worry about.

Congrats, and don't worry. Your body knows how to have a baby. Your mind doesn't even have to get involved.

I would say call 911 and they will walk you through it. I wouldn't worry about it though. Although it has happened, its far more likely you will get to the hospital in time. If this is your first child, take some birthing classes and read some books. Most woman KNOW when they are in labor. When in doubt, you call your doctor.

Yep, you would need to call 911 and get the word from the pros on this one. But know that you do not need to cut the cord. Many home births and births at a birth center wait quite some time before they cut the cord so that is def. something you won't need to worry about. And most babies don't need to be suctioned.

And to have some insurance that this doesn't come up, take a birthing class so you will feel comfortable knowing the signs of labor. And ask your doc or midwife at what point you should be calling in to see if they want you to come in and get checked.

1 / 3