What Do I Feed My 13 Month Old After Throwing up in the Middle of the Night?

We went to get my daughter this morning and she had throw up all over her and her bed. I feel horrible for her! After a bath, a little milk, and a bite of banana, she is happy as can be with no fever or fussiness. So I'm wondering if I should just feed her what I normally would and let her be the judge of how much she wants to eat, or do I limit her food and modify what I give her? This is the first time she has done this and I don't remember my son doing this until he was much older, 2 1/2 in fact.
TIA!!!,

My pediatrician told me that pedialyte is a waste of money, and most juice brands are all sugar anways, so I give water or orange juice. As well as the Brat diet.

It is best to follow bratt diet, which is: bananas, rice, applesauce, etc. I would avoid milk, but if tolerating the above, can give yogurt or other milk products. Bland foods, such as toast is fine too. I hope your little one is feeling OK, those things are not much fun.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter.
I just found this new site last night and I think you'll find it very helpful regarding your daughter.
http://babycenter.com

You can type in vomiting in the search box and it should pull up some info for you.
Good Luck and hope she gets better.
~N.~

Do you know what caused the "sickness"?
My daughter did this a couple of times in her first year and after the second time, we figured out that sinus drainage gagged her and the throw-up was caused by her gag-reflux and not a sickness at all. If you think this is the cause, you can feed her like normal and just treat the post-nassal drip or sinus drainage issue! Otherwise, I would alter her diet slightly: feed her stuff at little easier on the stomach than usual(nothing acidic or too heavy) and stuff to hydrate her and just watch her. It is probably nothing if she acts fine!

Just a thought!

My pediarician always told me to follow the "brat" diet for a day or two- bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Also, milk is not the best if her tummy is upset- offer pedialyte or juice. Once these stay down, move on to regular foods. Good Luck- hope she is feeling better!

I agree with everyone else about the BRAT diet. That is what my pedi recommends as well. He also suggested some watered-down gatorade so as not to get dehydrated. Good luck!

We've always been told to follow the "B-R-A-T" diet - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast -- for tummy problems. Also, to keep them hydrated with some sort of electrolyte drink like pedialyte or gatorade (my kids would never drink pedialyte, so it was always gatorade for us).

ALso, the rule was to wait 10 minutes after vomiting to give them anything, then offer fluids only at first. If they keep that down, offer something from the BRAT list.

Typically though, in my experience, if the kid is actually hungry, they're usually ok to eat. They will naturally be self-limiting. If they don't feel like eating, the only thing you should worry about is fluids.

Our pediatrician has always told us to follow the BRAT diet for a little while after vomiting, it's bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast. Also he told us no milk or dairy products for a little while too because they just upset the stomach more, I've found this to be true with our daughter.

DON'T GIVE HER MILK!! Dairy is bad if she's been throwing up. Give her Pedialyte and the banana is probably a good choice. If she holds the Pedialyte down, then by the end of the day you might be able to do milk again. Dairy is just heavy and can curdle in her stomach if she's sick.

1 / 3