What Do I Feed My 12 Month Old?

We just went to the doctor to get those wonderful 12 month shots. It actually went better than I had plan! My Doctor told me that I could take him off of formula now and the bottle completely and start feeding him fruits and other table foods. This is my first child and I was never around babies growing up. So, here's my question... what can I feed my 12 month old? He has two bottom teeth and 3 top teeth coming in. I am just afraid of him choking on something. Any ideas, I like ideas!! :)

I will try all these great ideas and thank you so much for the advice. I have already tried some of these things and will try a lot more of them. I will let you all know how it goes. Thank You.

mashed potatoes, french frys, bread, soft foods, cookies, etc...oatmeal, puddings jellos, i was feeding my son alot of these before 9 months...babies are great..wold love to have some more.my youngest is 14...

Remember it well! I was determined for my son not to grow up with a weight issues, so his first finger foods were cooked vegetables. I gave him no puddings, gravies or sweets. My mother-in-law thought that was awful and always wanted to push her desserts on him. But because of my strictness, he grew up prefering meat and veggies. Today he is a slender, healthy 28 yr old, and he won't eat puddings, gravies or sweets! He still prefers vegetables over pastas and devours green beans!
My point is this: you can and will design his eating habits for the rest of his life. Be smart about it (and don't listen to your mother-in-law!) :)

I remember those days. I was always afraid of my son choking, but now, at 15 months old, I am much more relaxed. He should be able to handle anything that dissolves easily. My son loves any type of pasta, bread, and most fruits. He also loves dark red kidney beans. He eats them like finger foods. The only thing you have to worry about it making sure everything is in small pieces and try to remember what he eats that is new incase he has an allergic reaction. He can really do more with those little teeth than you think he can.

K. he is only 12 months old. He cannot digest "table food" for some time. So, what i did with my daughter was I fed her Gerber baby food. (or anything that is baby food. like natures food or beechnut, whichever is cheaper or you feel is good for your baby) They have baby food for kids up until they are 3 years old! They have TV dinners that is ALL natural. My daughter was on baby food until she was 3. Now she is a health nut. She would rather eat veggies and fruit than anything else!

Another thing that you might want to know is, Cows Milk causes a lot of common childs sicknesses. like ear aches, stomach gas, etc. So try soy milk. My daughter has drank that since she has gotten off formula and will not drink cows milk. and she never has had colic or ear aches and is rarely sick.

Did you know that it takes a child that is 1 year - two years old more time to digest table food than baby food? Like mashed potatoes takes 2 hours more to digest than creamed carrots! Oh and NEVER give your child peanuts until they are 3 years old. did you know that their body cannot digest them? It doesn't know how to yet.

I really hope that this helps you with your questions! If you need anything please feel free to contact me and I would love to help.

Have a wonderful day!

L. Kay

P.S. to switch from the botle, try to get him used to a sippy cup. With Victoria, I switched from a bottle to a sippy cup and she never missed it. but all kids are different. I hope it'll help.

You can directly feed him anything soft. But, I suggest going to Babies R Us and getting a food mill (a hand held grinder) and you can put almost anything in it! He can have anything you eat, just cut off a few pieces of meat and add some potatoes or rice and a little milk and grind it up and it's the same thing Gerber puts in a jar minus those pesky perservative. You can also buy a small food processesor if you'd rather.

You can feed him anything that doesn't require a lot of chewing. Mashed potatoes, applesauce, even biscuits and gravy (just cut the buscuits into small pieces). Soup are great too. My son loved chicken noodle at that age. Any Pasta that is well cooked is fine. Trust your own judgement.

My daughter is almost 11 months old. She eats just about any thing now, and she has 8 teeth, four on top and four on bottom. anything I give her I make sure is in small bite sized pieces, and she either chews it up or lets it get soft and then swallows it. I give her anything from regular baby food, to adult food mashed or cut up. The doctor said anything I give her is fine. Good Luck!

Have you introduced him to any foods? If not start out with the pureed stuff then go to the soft diced stuff. I don't really know other than that. My little ones were both eating reguler food by 12 months I just didn't give them things that might choke them like tough meats, hotdogs, peanuts, chips raisans things like that. Your dr. should have given you a list of foods that are choking hazards. If your unsure then ask him for one, thats what dr.s are for until then gerber makes little microwave meals that are made for babies. Keep in mind that you can't just take the bottle all at once try taking one bottle a day for several days at a time, maybe start with the midday bottle take it for a few days then take away the morning and the midday one and so on till he is completly off the bottle.

1 / 3