What Do Hiring Principals Seek in a Teacher?

I am working on my resume to get back into teaching. I feel like the competition is a little tougher this time around, so I am freaking out about my resume. What 3 qualities do you think a hiring principal is looking for in a teacher? I'd love your input!! TIA!

Exactly what you want for you child as a parent - someone who has a heart for children! Flexibility/positive attitude and subject matter expertise round out the package!

Start subbing at a few schools that you are interested in and get to know the staff. When they know you are certified and looking, they will be checking you out. If they like what they see, you will be getting offers. SO many of the teachers at my school were hired that way- myself included!

1. Team player
2. Flexibility
3. Dedication

Totally agree with the other posters.
In addition, they want someone with high expectations for ALL students: you expect ALL 100% of your students to pass TAKS and succeed! (even though you know some won't! You set that expectation high so they can reach it.)

Keep your options (and your mind) open!!

I believe they look for someone who is a team player. A teacher who is a good attitude and is willing to implement new things in the class room and doing so with a great attitude. I also think they look for teachers who will be a good "fit" with the other teachers on the campus or on the grade level team. I think you have gotten some great advice on substitute teaching. That is an excellent way to get your foot in the door and find out first hand how the principal manages the staff and how the parents are at a particular school. I also think that would help you to know what schools you would like to teach at and what schools you would like to avoid. Good luck!! I admire all you teachers out there! Thanks for making such a difference in our children's lives!

Another approach........... I have seen many substitute teachers being hired at the school where they sub the most. I only sub at 1 school and I am not interested in a full time position but I have 4 friends who ended up with jobs at our school and other schools within the PISD system.

Principals want someone that can connect with all students--pull that struggling reader up and also help the gifted student to reach his or her potential. They want someone that has good communication skills--with staff members, students and especially parents. They want someone that takes the time in lesson planning to differentiate for the needs and learning styles of the students. Before your interviews be sure to research the school district and the school--what are their TAKS scores from previous years, what is their accountability rating, what is the enrollment and ethnicity of the students? Be prepared with anecdotes on your experiences of working with kids that represent that school. Ask the principal or interview committee what their goal is for that grade level and be ready to tell about your experiences. Good luck!

Someone who is flexible, works well with others, and is excited about teaching at their school.

1 / 3