What Do 5Th Grade Boys Like??

I would like to purchase a christmas gift for my son's 5th grade reading buddy. He is very kind and patient with my son. I was thinking of something under $15.00, but I have no idea what 10/11 year old boys like.
Thanks for any ideas.

Hi J.
I teach fifth grade and, if you were looking for a book as a gift my kids have gone crazy over the "diary of a Wimpy Kid" books (I know someone else mentioned them also) and "City of Ember" (there is NOTHING inappropriate in it - a risk in some "big kid" books). If you do a book maybe some hot chocolate and popcorn for reading on a winter evening.

I know that the skate board things that have been mentioned are popular (I for get the name) and Bakugan (prob. spelled that wrong) balls. They look like a little ball and then they open up when placed on metal.

I think that gift cards are also great. THey do like having choices and feel very rch to go to the sotre with their own money.

I have a 5th grade son and he likes the book series "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" he also liked the book "The Kid Who Ran for President" and I believe those books were all in the $5-$10 range. If this boy is a reading buddy he probably enjoys reading so I suggest get him a book or a gift card to the local book store.---M.

My 5th grader loves bionicles and legos. Both help with the imagination an involve building things. My son also has the free subscription to the lego magazine and eagerly awaits it every two months. Hope this helps.

This is not B. it is her 5th grade son. I have 2 ideas of a present for the reading buddy: Tech Decks, witch are these little mini skateboards that you skate on with your fingers. they are very much fun I enjoy and collect them. The other idea I had was Fishing supplies (if he likes fishing) tech decks are about 2 or 3 bucks for one and to get a pack of 4 tech decks it's about 10 bucks. you can also get little tech deck skate parks. I have one it's a lot of fun. fishing stuff can be anywhere from 50 cents to 200 dollers!
Doug

Hi J.! I have a son in 5th grade and what he likes right now are the Tech Deck skateboards. They are matchbox size skateboards that you work with your fingers. You can buy ramps for them, etc. Some come in a little set with extra wheels you can change on the board. It seems like its the big thing right now. You can find them at Target and probably at Meijer too. He still likes matchbox size cars/trucks yet too, especially his snowmobile right now. Gift cards always work too!!:) Hope this helps! Hope you have a great week and a wonderful Christmas!

Blessings, B. Hooyer
Usana Health Sciences
bhooyer.usana.com

I know it's not personal, but how about a visa or mastercard gift card..OR a gift card to game stop (or some other type of gaming store)? (Assuming they enjoy video games)

Hi J. - My son is 10 and here are a few things on his Christmas list to give you an idea: books (the Michigan Chiller series books he loves), games for his DS (some of which you can find around $15), movies (he likes Indiana Jones series and other exciting movies similar to that), sports jerseys of his favorite players, board games like Pictionary Man, Clue.
Find out what other interests he has (besides reading of course) and see what you can find - maybe he likes to draw, so a sketch book and some charcoal pencils would be around $10. Books would be a great idea or a gift certificate to a nearby book store.
P.

J. ~
Since the boy is his reading buddy, why not a book or a gift card to a book store?

I have 5 boys, one of whom is a 5th grader this year. For Christmas we got them all a flashlight that you crank up to give it the power to light up. It takes no batteries. They were about $10.00.

It has been my experience that most all boys love gadgets and also flashlights. It is also something novel yet practical. The ones we bought we found in the hunting/camping/sporting goods section at the store. Good luck and I hope this helped.

I am a mom to a 5th grade boy and I know what he likes now is the ability to make his own choices with his money. Therefore, I would suggest getting this boy a gift card to maybe, Target or GameStop, or somewhere similar. I know it seems kind of impersonal but my son got a few for his 10th birthday in October and he loves to be able to go shopping with his own money. $15 is still a lot of money to a 10-year old! Good luck!

Hi J.

1 / 3