What Cold Medicine Is Safe While Nursing? Any?

Happy Thanksgiving Mamas!

I have come down with a terrible cold and I could really use some relief. I checked the La Leche League website, but couldn't find any info on safe cold medicines. If any of you know for sure there is something I can take, please let me know.

In addition to the Thanksgiving running around, I am hosting a 40th birthday party for my husband tomorrow night and I need to feel better soon!

THANKS!

I checked out KellyMom.com where there is a list of BF safe meds. I took some Tylenol Cold and gave my little guy a formula botle for the middle of the night feeding - just to be safe. I do think my supply seems to be short this morning, so I won't take it again today, but it was nice to a get a little break from the cold symptoms and the sleep was a huge help.

I will definitely be checking out all the recommended homeopathic remedies. Thanks again ladies - I am thankful for this community!

Just like when pregnant... Any Tylenol product. Hope you feel better soon!

E.

Try Boiron Homeopathic ColdCalm. CVS now sells the Boiron products (here in The Colony, TX) but you can also find it at Sprouts, Whole foods, etc.

Homeopathic remedies are safe , have no drug interactions, and are very dilute forms of plant and mineral substances that trigger the body's own immune response. Also Immunity TakeCare by New Chapter to prevent colds is made of berries, only!
Go to BoironUSA.com

Go to BoironUSA.com

Be careful with this as many cold medications are designed to dry up the congestion - runny nose, etc. However, the drying effect is not specialized to your head and could dry up your breastmilk as well. I highly recommend you get in touch with a breastfeeding resource center. There's a great one at Harris Methodist HEB. There's another good one at Harris Fort Worth. I touched base with these outstanding breastfeeding resource people on all questions and their information proved very helpful. They kept me from taking medications that would've dried me up!

I have a great food supplement that is safe and effective for you and your baby, it builds your immune system and get well fast, most of all all natural and developed by a nutrition scientist. Your whole family can stay health, we have not been on meds for God knows so many years.

Best Wishes

A.
###-###-####

Any Tylenol product. Hope you feel better!

Please check with your physician first, but I believe homeopathic remedies would be fine. We use Cold Calm and like it a lot.

Again, ALWAYS check with a physician first.

Most over the counter meds, coricidin without antihistamine, zyrtec for colds, anything that doesn't have diphenhydramine (benedryl) or psuedoephedrine should be safe. It should give you some relief while not decreasing your milk supply which is perfect to help baby not be as sick. I am so sorry you have a cold, nothing is worse trying to take care of small kids than feeling so down yourself. The good news is that nursing will actually help you to feel better during and for a while after.
hope this is helpful,
K. @ The Nestingplace

I hope you feel better soon. It is the worst being sick when you are a mom. You just don't have time to be sick or usually have anyone to really take care of you!

Check www.kellymom.com to see if they have a safe medications list. It is a great website for nursing support.

I also recommend taking Zycam at the first sign of a cold. It alays works for me by either making my cold symptoms much less severe or not developing at all. Also, I have found that taking Oscillococcinum (sp?)helps a lot too. It is a homeopathic medicine that you can find at Kroger or Walmart in either the flu med. It is made by Boiron. Whole Foods has a store brand that is a bit cheaper too. Both are zycam and ocsillo are completely safe while breastfeeding.

Feel better soon!

Sudafed and claritin were the only things that my doc. approved. Sadly, for me, neither one worked very well. You can, however, use vicks vapor rub, and I use their vaporizer in my room. A cool-mist humidifier works pretty well for congestion too. Make sure you take some extra vitamin C and keep taking your prenatal vitamins.
My 17 cent cure is ramen noodles. It clears out my nose, at least for a little while. And honey or peppermint tea is great for a sore throat if you have one.

1 / 3