What causes an infant to cry while eating?

My 4 month old son crys ever time you feed him a bottle he crys then eats then crys then eats, so i took him to doctor and he is not sick so what could it be??? It's almost like you are not holding him right. So I guess I need some tips on how to make him eat more peacefully!!!!!Several of the response say reflux but my son is already on Precavid for reflux so I'm not sure thats what it is!!!

Summary

Some moms said it could be teething, or the position he's in while eating. While some moms suggest to take a closer look at his breathing, his eating habit (gums, sucking, etc.) and his ears. Check out the article for other moms' input, and consult a doctor if it persists.

He could be teething early! Try using orajel on his gums just before feeding time. Additionally, you may try Teething Tablets...they worked great for my babies. Good Luck.

Has you son had a Modified Barium Swallow Study (MBSS) to assess his swallowing??? He may not be an organized feeder and that could be why he is "crying".

See if the Pediatrician would give you a prescription to have a Speech-Language Pathologist do an MBSS and/or Feeding Evaluation...

I am a Speech-Language Patholgist and come across this often.

My son did cried like that when he was that age. I found out if I rocked slightly from side to side while I fed him that he calmed down and would eat without tears.

It sounds to me like an ear ache. I know you took him to the dr. but sometimes the ears will hurt with no other symptoms. It's like when you're on a plane and your ears pop from the preasure change when you swallow, chew gum, or hold your nose and blow. His ears could be popping every time he swallows, and it could hurt.

Try taking him to a chiropractor.

I don't know who your pediatrician is, but my newborn daughter was tested for Dysphagia (it's a malfunction of the valve that shuts the airways when your son swallows so he doesn't aspirate fluids into his lungs). Does he choke when he swallows at all? My DD was tested once at 3 months and then again at 6 mos. To this day, she is 7 1/2 months old and I cannot even get her to drink 3 oz of breastmilk from a bottle because she learned that drinking was painful. I had the same trouble with her when she was little that you're having with your son, now. She's always been extremely difficult to feed and she only weighs 13 lbs. at almost 8 mos. Might be something that you check into. We had a Gastroenterologist order the test for us.. there are pediatric gastroenterologists in Ft. Worth.
Best of luck!

Maybe the Prevacid is not working. You might try new formulas. My son did that and we ended up tolerating Alimentum formula. If he is crying , he is in PAIN so do what you can.

I took care of a little baby like yours while in day care. Out of everyone, even his parents, I seemed to be the only one that could feed him. Turns out (even with reflux) he would only take a bottle sitting up and leaning forward. I actually showed mom what I was doing so she would be more at ease. Everyone always fed or "tried" to feed him while leaning him back. It never worked. As long as I leaned him forward and sitting up, he ate fine. Maybe it was because he didn't feel like he was choking, but whatever it was, it worked!

Thrush? check for white spots on his cheeks and tongue. If so, then it's thrush. Easy to fix with meds!

Is that the only time her cries alot? Strange... when did he get his shots?

You might want to get a swallow study done to see if he is asperating. some babies asperate (fluid goes into wrong tube and into lungs when they swallow) and it causes pain. it can cause pnumonia if it persists. ask your dr. to set up a study for you. good luck,

1 / 3