What Can I Give My One Year Old for His Cold?

I have looked and not been able to find anything i can give my 1 year old for cough and sneezing and runny nose.. Is there anything i can give him to help him get better?

Thank you everyone for all of your advice!! My son is doing alot better!!

There is no medication that you can/should really give him. I use saline nose drops, humidifier, and lots of fluids. Aspiration helps too if he will let you do that. I know there is Vicks Baby Rub that can help with a cough. I rub it on my older son's feet and put socks on at night, and no coughing. :) Just some ideas. Hope that helps. It's rough for a mom to not be able to fix her baby, but he is young, and his immune system is getting it's workout.

saline nasal spray for infants (little noses is a good one) and vaporizer for the room. Do not give cold medicine, it is too dangerous.

You can also try calling your pediatrician, I recently moved here from Colorado where we had multiply colds a year. Because of the new recommendations on not giving children under 2 OTC cold medicines(of which I 32 and my 9 years old son survived). My now 3 year old had a lot of problems with colds when she was born and they gave me Donatussin. I don't believe it is expensive, I always got samples and never had to get an actual prescription. But we would use that and a very small amount of Vicks(doesn't take much for a little one) and a hot air vaporizor.

Good Morning M., I usually use the Tylenol cold to help out with some of the symptoms, if they are really bad, but for a more natural approach, I give my son 2-3 warm baths with the Johnson's Vapor bath in it and it makes him feel so much happier and if you will do it when he first wakes up in the morning, and then again right before naptime and then again right before bed, this will help them sleep better. Good luck and I hope your child gets to feeling better.

Wat can I give mi one year for a cold?

It is a personal choice, pediatricians usually do not approve of, but I like and I give my kids homeopatic medicine that you can get at wholefood markets and they do help.

I am a grandma who lives with 2 of her grandchildren who are 4 year old twins. My daughter works for a pediatrician and her advice would be to call your doctor's office. She has told me numerous times about children under the age of two being over medicated and not all children are the same, even in the same family. Asking your pediatrician assures you that you are getting the best advice for your precious baby boy.

tylenol/motrin and some benadryl are pretty much all you can have. Some Dr's will also recommend mucinex but you will need to get dosing information from you Dr for benadryl and mucinex.
You can also use saline nasal drops and bulb suction to help clear up his nose.
He cannot have anything else w/o a Rx and there is nothing w/ dosing information for his age and size so please don't buy any cold medicine and try to guess b/c it's really not safe.

My pediatrician gave me children's Zyrtec for my 1-year-old's cold. 1/2 tsp a day and it takes about 5 days for it to completely work but it really does help! You can buy it over the counter. Lots of fluids too!

1 / 3